Prologue

Out of the Darkness

Prologue

Valerio

Life is such a fickle thing. Every breath you take is numbered, and who knows if there even is such a thing as destiny. If there is, what's mine? Yours? My wife and mate, Lexie's? My sister Aemilia's? Or even her mate Keegan? Are we all here to serve a singular purpose? Or did circumstances, events, just play out this way?

My journey, or should I say that of my entire family, has not been an easy one. Growing up, I was loved unconditionally. Other than the whirlwind path my Mom and Dad set everyone on, my life has, mostly, been nice. I can't say I have never been in danger, but when the vampires and werewolves were at war, there really wasn't anything anyone could have done to protect my sister and I. For the most part though, we were always safe.

The packs, at least in my opinion, were always better cared for under my Dad's rule. At least when they were all at war with the vampires, none of them died. Since I became Guild Leader, only four months ago, who knows how many wolves have died because of me and my need to stop my own brother as it turned out.

My brother, whose real name I refused to speak anymore, was just like my sister and I. All three of us were born half lycanthrope, half witch and warlock. The mix of the two species caused, side-effects you could say. All of us had abnormal growths. I physically grew faster, my younger sister's mental state was faster, and The Warlock got both.

But Aemilia got something extra. My Mom, once upon a time, used to be able to see into the future. She hasn't had a vision since I was a kid, but Aemilia has her ability. It was Aemilia who guided Mom and Dad, and hell, everyone else, during the war with the vampires.

Although The Warlock had it 'harder', what became of him is something that never should have happened. He got the same love and attention that me and my sister got growing up. None of us treated him any differently, so why he turned to using black magic still doesn't make sense to any of us.

What kills me the most is that I, my family, every single werewolf in the entire world was hunting him. The Warlock amassed a small gathering of those who, in today's world, still practiced magic. He taught good hearted people, men and woman, to using their powers to kill thousands of people. They would kidnap regular humans, slaughter them in a blood sacrifice, and use their death's dark energy and blood to fuel bombs they set off all over the world.

It's because of his violence and chaos that the humans now know magic is real and not just a fairy tale.

And all that was achievable before he harnessed the powers from a diamond that housed an enormous amount of black magic inside it. That fucking diamond. It was my duty to make sure The Warlock didn't get possession of it, and I utterly failed. I practically hand delivered it to him!