Chapter One

Out of the Darkness

One

Valerio

I toss and turn, making sure to not sigh too heavily so I don't wake Lexie beside me. Every time I try to sleep now, images and scenes play out in my dreams. I have a terrible feeling in my gut that I already know what's happening to me. When we were kids, Aemilia told me how she started seeing visions into the future. I'd bet my status as Guild Leader that that's what going on with me.

The first vision I had was between The Warlock and I. Every single thing that happened between us, even down to the second I would break free of his hold, happened weeks before it actually occurred. After I died because of the bomb in the sea of tents, I know had another vision about meeting the President of the United States. I don't know when, how, or even why, but sometime in mine and Lexie's near futures, we will have to have a meeting with him.

According to that vision, The Warlock has been taken care of already, and I really wish I knew how. Keeping him in the prison world is only going to prolong the inevitable in my opinion. In the time he was beating the crap out of me, I was still in shock that he was who I had been after for months on end. I had always just wanted to help strip The Warlock, whoever that may have been, of his powers; but to find out it was my own kid brother killing all those people with his sacrificial bombs, the betrayal of helping to cover up the murder his Aunt Nikiya, and then his cousin and best friend, and then killing our father made it all just too hard to do the right thing. Putting him in the prison world was the only way to stop myself from killing him.

By the time Lexie and I meet with the President, will I have made my resolve and killed my brother? Or am I going to figure out a different way to handle him?

I haven't told Lexie about the visions I've had. Nor have I told Aemilia. Things are too crazy right now and I can handle having them on my own. I know I should probably tell someone about them, but I really don't see a point since it obviously comes from Mom. Besides, I've watched Aemilia have them practically my whole life. I'm sure I can handle them just as well as she can.

I only wish that I would have had a vision of Althea showing up. After she explained that she has Otero's pack searching for the diamond that has mystically vanished, she left the sea of tents. I know war is coming now though. Her presence alone tells me that. But who is the war with? The Warlock? The humans?

She wouldn't even explain to me why she needed the diamond. All she said was, "I've only come to let you know your people are safe, and that when they have found the diamond, they will return."

That fucking diamond has been a pain in my ass since the second I heard about it. And now, even though there shouldn't be any black magic left inside of it thanks to The Warlock, it's still a thorn in my ass. What would the Fate of Peace need with it anyway? What good would having a useless piece of rock be?