Chapter Two

Out of the Darkness

Two

Aemilia

Tears stream down my face as Dad's empty casket is lowered into the ground. It kills me inside that there's nothing in it, but I know Dad wouldn't have wanted us to put anything in it. He wouldn't have wanted us to part with anything that reminded us of him.

Guilt consumes me as dirt is shoveled over the mahogany wood. I know The Warlock had his futures blocked, but Dad's weren't. I should have seen what was happening. I should have been able to prevent this. The fact that I found the destruction in the cabin makes all of this even worse. The image of Dad's blood covering every inch of the walls and furniture is something that will be forever engraved in my mind.

Valerio said he wanted to see the cabin after the funeral, so I'm grateful that Uncle Septimus, Eric and Miles already cleaned it up. The fact that the three of them too saw what became of Dad makes even larger tears fall down my cheeks. The four of them had been so close.

When the last of the dirt is replaced, Valerio lifts himself and Lexie into the air. A sea of sniffles from the wolves that surround us can be heard; as well as people clearing their throats.

"Four days ago," he begins, "all of us lost someone whose words and actions will always have a place in our hearts. Lexie and I don't want you to think that we have lost someone of more importance, as the majority of us were lead by such a great man for so many prosperous years. I want everyone to grieve our shared loss in their own way. If that means you wish to return home, then please do and only return when you're ready." He takes a deep breath, makes a disgusted face, and finishes, "The Warlock is in his own personal prison world, but Spencer is still out there somewhere. I don't want to lose anymore lives, and I actually encourage most of you to go home so we're not clustered together. As of right now, we are all safer divided."

"What about Dr. McCoy?" Someone shouts from the crowd on the opposite side of Keegan and I.

Valerio looks in their direction, and replies, "My hope is that since The Warlock is out of the picture, and Spencer by himself can't cause any real destruction on his own, that the humans will stop looking into it."

Mummers can be heard all around the gathering, and even though I know Valerio knows that's not how it's going to happen, he is being honest. It's what he "hopes" happens. Since he's only seeing one future, his vision with him and the President is something that's going to happen. There are several of my own vision that show that meeting not happening, but most of the ones I have seen prove that it will.

I don't have it in my heart today to tell him.

But just because that future will happen, there's no reason the wolves can't go home. I know Valerio wants everyone one out of here to protect them, and Spencer is powerful enough to make another, smaller, bomb to hurt more wolves.