Chapter Thirteen

Out of the Darkness

Thirteen

Althea

One week ago...

For longer than I care to calculate, I have ensured mankind didn't destroy itself. Countless wars have came down to me single-handedly safeguarding all of humanity. Being the Fate of Peace is difficult work, but I wouldn't change anything. Before I became a Fate, I was nothing; just a lonely witch who didn't fit in with any coven.

Thousands of years ago, I heard the rumors of a warlock creating a new kind of magic. Everyone did. What only my fellow Fates know, is that I was there. I was in the room when Rullus and his two sidekicks orchestrated the mass killing of anyone who didn't join them. I watched so many witches and warlocks die that day, and the only reason I survived is because I didn't try to run when the truth came out.

I hid in the back of the room. While one person after the other was killed, I made it appear that I wanted to be apart of them. From the second Rullus announced the kind of magic he created, I knew his coven wasn't what I wanted to be involved in. So, I waited until the seal around the temple was taken down before making my escape.

I wasn't the only one either. A number of other witches and warlocks had the same idea as me. None of us knew what would happen high in those mountains, and it became quite clear that if we fought them we would die. When the majority of us who came to the temple were consumed by black magic, Rullus felt safe enough to take the barrier away that was keeping us trapped inside.

The instant that spell was taken down I made a break for it. I didn't run out the door; I was somehow calm as I lead a small group away from the temple. I then spent months getting as far away from Rullus as possible. When Giles and Gyana found me, and told me what I was to become, my first instinct was to turn down the position.

I wanted no part in it. But it had been Giles, Rullus' own brother, who convinced me. He had given me this speech about how if I didn't become Fate, I would be leaving the entire world in Rullus' hands. Sure, Gyana and Giles could have just picked someone else to be the Fate of Peace, but seeing firsthand what Rullus was capable of gave me a unique edge.

When it finally came time to confront Rullus and his massive coven, we were too late. Rullus, our target, had disappeared. Before Giles and I could subdue the coven, Rullus was killing them himself by taking all of their powers and putting it into a diamond. Since that night, us Fates have made it our mission to find that diamond and destroy it.

All three of us knew that Rullus had gone to such lengths for someone else; we just didn't know who. In our time, boys being born is all that mattered. For years Giles and I watched his own son, thinking Rullus found out about him and was trying to give the diamond to him. Mathias, Giles' son, never knew we were there, and was never approached by Rullus. I know it had been extremely difficult for Giles to stand back and watch his son being raised by another man after his wife remarried, but he never complained.