Chapter 6: Preparing for Battle

During the Landsmeet, we were able to defend our case and successfully accused Loghain of treason. We dueled one on one, killing him off. No mercy for scum who abandoned his king and everyone else. I vouched for Alistair to become King and it was decided as such. After sending Anora to the tower, my companions and I left Alistair with the nobles to talk, and we waited in the next room.

"All right everyone. There might be a chance Alistair won't be able to join us for the final battle against the Blight, which means killing the archdemon would fall on Riordan and me." I stated with a fist on the table. "Alistair is king now, so we can't risk losing him to the darkspawn if he goes to fight. I need you all to fully rest, we are going to make history tomorrow. It ends soon."

We heard the door open and in walked Alistair in his new royal armor. He looked strong and so handsome. He stopped walking and looked at everyone else before his eyes stopped on me, his face falling. "We... need to talk."

That didn't sound good. My heart started to beat rapidly, not knowing what he was going to say next. I turned back to the others and motioned for them to leave us alone. They did not hesitated and ran out, Wynne closing the door behind her with a sad knowing look.

Once we were alone, Alistair began to talk. "I'm not going to question why you made me king. I even think I'm starting to come around on the idea, anyhow... it could be an interesting future for me." But... being king, that raises some questions about us. About you and me."

Oh no. I pretended to be oblivious. "What sorts of questions?"

He sighed heavily. "First, there's the fact that both you and I are Grey Wardens. It's not just a question of obligation, but of blood. You know Grey Wardens don't usually live to become old, right?"

"Yes, I'm aware of that."

"As king, I'll be required to have a child. Even more so because my death is assured. That's assuming someone with the taint can or even should have a child." My heart was breaking even further.

"Don't Grey Wardens have children?"

"Not with each other. Even one parent having tainted blood means having children is not recommended. All the Grey Wardens I knew with children had them before they joined the Order." He stopped and looked down at his feet. "I will need to find a wife, one who can bear a child. Who will live to raise it." Tears began to fall down, as I desperately tried to wipe them away. He looked at me and his heart broke to see me like this. "I don't relish it, but... I will have a duty as the king." I turned my back to him and held onto the table for support. I felt my legs wanting to give out under me. I couldn't breathe. My heart is breaking again.

I heard him walk closer to me. "I love you. More than I ever thought possible, but... I have to face what this means. I can't run away from it anymore."

I wiped my tears away and closed my eyes tightly. I need to control myself. I need to be strong. I took a deep breath and opened my eyes to face him. "Are you saying we can't be together."

"Yes, I... I guess I am." His eyebrows were narrowed upwards as he said it. "I could see it becoming very hard to tear myself away from you. Impossible, even. If this is what must be, then... then I have to do it now. I'm sorry."

I held back my tears fighting to get through and I held my head high. "You'll be a good king." How much I regretted making him king, but what's done is done. Ferelden needs a good ruler. I can't be selfish. As a mage, I should be accustomed to not getting what I want.

"But I'd gladly trade all of those things for what I really want." Tears were beginning to break through his eyes. "I... need to go back to camp. Be by myself for a while. Arl Eamon has left for Redcliffe. He says the army has gathered there and is almost ready to march. As soon as we're ready, we should head to Redcliffe ourselves. The Blight awaits, right?"