Chapter 13: Friendship, Family and the Fade

SCARLETT'S POV:

I woke to the sounds of several voices speaking incoherent words and I groaned in pain. I never knew being dead was painful. I opened my eyes slowly and fluttered them open. I groaned again and noticed I had my left eye covered by a soft cloth. What is going on?

"Maker's breath! You're awake." A familiar voice said on my right. I turned my head slowly to see Cullen grinning. "I thought I lost you. The healers did an incredible job closing your wounds. Hawke also used magic to heal deeper and more dangerous wounds. You were extremely wounded and I'm afraid to say that you'll have scars."

"Am I dead?" I felt my lips so dry it hurt to open my mouth.

Cullen shook his head no. "You're alive. We went to the Fade to rescue you. Morrigan planned your rescue. You're back at Skyhold."

"Water..." I croaked.

He stood up and walked to a table and poured water in a glass. He returned and helped me sit up on the bed before slowly pouring water in my mouth. I never craved water in my life until I was stuck in the Fade for weeks. The water felt so refreshing and I could feel myself coming alive with every drop of it. I'm in love with water now.

"Thank you." I whispered. "Did I lose an eye?"

He chuckled. "No. You still have both eyes intact. You have a deep cut from above your eyebrow down to your cheekbone. The healer put bandages while it heals. It will take a few days before you can remove them. You also had another wound along your left jawline, but not as bad. That will heal quickly." He then cleared his throat and scratched his neck. "The healers said you have multiple bruises and wounds all over your body. So they had to remove all of your clothing to clean you up."

"I thought I was going to die there. I killed that giant spider after Lavellan and Garrett left, but the rift disappeared after they left. I tried to find another way out, even using magic, but nothing worked. Demons found me and I had to fight my way through them to stay alive." I took a deep breath. "I was not going to die without a fight."

"I'm glad we found you on time. Morrigan was smart to bring your dog to find you. He's a smart boy." He smiled.

"Rocky is here? I thought I remembered his licks..." my boy is here! "Can I see him?"

"The healers advised against that. You are badly hurt and we can't let him accidentally open your wounds if he jumps on you. Jowan is taking care of him." He set the glass of water on the table beside my bed and sat down on the chair. I can see small bags under his eyes. He hasn't slept well.

"Are you all right? You look tired. Have you slept?"

"I am fine, no need to worry about me. I feared that I would lose you." He caressed my healthy cheek softly with his thumb. "The Inquisitor told me of your last message to me: that you forgive me. But I can't forgive myself for the pain I caused you."

"Cullen... it's fine. Don't worry about it." I tried to get up but my stomach felt like it was on fire. I groaned and Cullen pushed me back on the bed.

"You can't get up. You need to rest."

"I can't stay in bed. I must help fight Corypheus." He sat back down lazily with a grin.