Chapter 12: Where's Amell?

CULLEN'S POV

Once the battle on Adamant was over, and I got news that the Inquisitor and the rest had returned safely, I left soldiers here to make sure no other demons were left while the rest of us returned back to Skyhold. I was in my office, writing notes and reports about Adamant to Val Royeaux, King Alistair and Empress Celene. Corypheus was a threat to all of Thedas and we need to work together to defeat him. I heard a knock on the door and I nodded at the soldier to open the door. It was Lavellan. Her mouth was formed in a thin line, her eyebrows was pointing upwards as her eyes stared at me with sadness. Something is wrong.

"Leave us." I commanded, and the soldiers immediately left my office, closing the door behind them. "Inquisitor, is something wrong?"

"Cullen... I... don't know how to say this..." she couldn't look me in the eye.

"Maker's breath. Is this about Adamant? I know that several brave men and women died, and I will never forget them, but they died knowing they were protecting their family and home." I stood up and approached her.

"It's not about the soldiers... it's about someone in particular." She finally looked me in the eyes, and that's when I saw it. The pain behind those green eyes. I knew she was going to ask me about my feelings towards Scarlett very soon.

"What about her?"

"She... didn't make it." I stared at her, not believing what she just told me.

"This must be a joke, right?" She shook her head.

"She stayed behind in the Fade. She sacrificed herself for us to escape and to restore the Wardens' honor." No. This couldn't be true. She survived the Blight. Survived the archdemon. She can't be dead.

"No, that can't be. Why would you let her stay behind? There could've been another way..."

"There was no other way. It was her or Hawke. We didn't had time for debate. So I agreed for her to stay." She tried to touch my arm but I shrugged it off, walking away from her.

"Does Leliana know? Or Morrigan?"

"I just spoke with Leliana. She's... not taking it well. And I will speak to Morrigan right after this." I heard her sigh. "I'm sorry Cullen. I know you two were... friends."

I felt tears slip down my face as I stared out the window. "I need to be alone."

I heard footsteps walk away from me. "Cullen, she also gave me a message for you. She said.....she forgives you."

Maker. I closed my eyes. "Thank you." She forgives me... for all the pain I caused her. And now I can never tell her how I truly feel.

HAWKE'S POV:

After I had spoken to the leaders of the Grey Wardens, well, shouted really, about the terrible mistakes that Clarel made and the sacrifice that my cousin Scarlett made, I returned to Skyhold to offer my assistance.

I had written to Isabela about the news, which she hastily wrote back with a few words.

I am coming to kick your ass.

The fight against Corypheus was finally over. I went to the tavern with Varric for several drinks, in honor of my cousin. "For Scarlett! She always devoted her life to save others. May she always be remembered as the best of us." I cheered.