Chapter 10: The Inquisition

After a year of unsuccessfully finding answers about the calling and Corypheus, and how to stop it, I received a letter from Garrett Hawke about Corypheus being involved with the hole in the sky. I remembered seeing the blast from miles away. I have never seen a blast so large, larger than when I slayed the archdemon. He also mentioned in his letter that several Wardens have gone missing prior to the blast, saying that Corypheus could be an archdemon and we must investigate together. I had been on the run ever since I left Denerim a year ago to speak to Alistair. The terror in his eyes on that day still haunt me.

***FLASHBACK***

I arrived in Denerim as soon as possible and made my way to court to find Alistair. The royal guards immediately opened the door for me as I walked in. Alistair's butler approached me with a smile and bow.

"Teyrna Amell, welcome back to the court. Do you have an audience with-"

"I need to see the king immediately. It urgent." I cut him off. I couldn't stay here long, not when Clarel has branded me a traitor.

His eyes widened and he nodded quickly before motioning me to follow him. We walked up the stairs towards his bedroom and he signaled me to stop and wait while he seeks Alistair. He knocked on the bedroom door softly before clearing his throat.

"Your Highness," he called out.

"Come in Robert!" I heard Alistair's lighthearted voice call out from behind the door.

Robert opened the door and stepped inside with a bow. "Your Highness, Teyrna Amell is here to seek an audience with your lordship. She says it's important."

"She's here right now? With you? Let her in my man!" He laughed.

Robert walked out of the room and motioned for me to enter, closing the door behind me for privacy. I looked over to Alistair to see he was dressed very casual with a shirt and breeches. He was seated on a chair next to someone else. A woman. His wife.

He stood up immediately as his eyes landed on mine and he grinned before embracing me in his arms tightly.

"Oh Scarlett I have missed you so!" He laughed before letting me go. "I'm so happy you're here. I want you to finally meet my dear wife Elissa Cousland. My dear, this is Warden-Commander Amell, the Hero of Ferelden!" He took her hand as she stood from her chair, her back to me, before turning to face me. I gasped at the sight of her.

"You're with child?" I asked with big wide eyes staring at her growing belly. She chuckled, making me return my attention to her face. She was beautiful. Her pale face, dark blue eyes, and long brown hair shined brightly against the sun. She was dressed in a thin beige colored dress.

"I'm so glad to finally meet you. Alistair speaks highly of you." She smiled sweetly at me.

"I am sorry I couldn't attend the wedding ceremony, I had duties to take care of." I lied. "But I must say congratulations on the baby. It seems Grey Wardens can still make babies."

"We're very happy to make an heir." Alistair kissed her forehead softly. "Elissa is a strong woman, and she's perfect to carry the future king of Ferelden."

"I've only met your brother Teyrn Fergus, I wasn't aware he had a sister." I raised an eyebrow.

Her face fell slightly before nodding. "He thought me dead for a long time. Howe had attacked our home and killed everyone there, but I managed to escape alone with the help of my parents. They didn't make it. And with a Blight in the land, I spent over a year running and fighting to survive. I spent it looking for Fergus."