Chapter 8 || How Awkward

"(l/n)-channnn! Good morning!" Lev called, bounding over to the (h/c) girl. "You look pretty as always." 

(y/n) giggled. Lev always complimented her whenever he saw her. It startled her at first, she wasn't used to such straightforwardness, but it was a nice change of pace. She didn't want to reject the boy and hurt his feelings so she always accepted the compliments. "Good morning Lev, and thank you." 

The first year beamed, opening his mouth to compliment her more but he suddenly fell forward, face harshly hitting the floor with a 'bam.' Lev picked himself up, pouting as he stared down at the third year. "Yaku-san so mean." 

"We're starting practice, idiot." Lev whined, rubbing the spot where the libero kicked him. Yaku sighed, dragging Lev over to the team as he continued to nag the boy. 

"But Yaku-san," Lev started. "Today might be the day (l/n)-chan falls for me." 

"Tsk tsk tsk Lev." Yamamoto sighed, waving a finger at the first year. "That's impossible." 

"Ehh why? I think it's working." Lev pouted. Yamamoto urged him to come closer. Leaning in, Lev nodded as he listened to what Yamamoto had to say, the second year cupping his ear. 

Kenma rolled his eyes as he watched the two. He didn't understand why Yamamoto was trying whisper, his could hear the male from across the court. Kenma didn't miss the quick glances shot in his direction either. The second year only sighed, clutching the volleyball in his hands as he picked it up. 

He caught on to the team's antics during Golden Week. He didn't think much of it at first, but he began to notice how the team was purposefully trying to get (y/n) and him together. Whether it be during dinner or on the bus, even during their late night hangouts, (y/n) was always pushed to sit, or stand, next to Kenma. 

Kenma knew about their secret group chat too. He didn't miss how their phones would buzz at the same time, and how a select few would be texting and sending glances to one another. The team knew Kenma was observant, and the boy wondered why they didn't try harder to hide it. Kenma concluded that they didn't know they were being so obvious. 

He didn't mind too much though. Kenma was comfortable around (y/n) and they were used to each others' company. Kenma just didn't like how the team was trying to meddle with his love life. He wasn't that helpless. 

Practice went on, Lev still had trouble with spiking, receiving, blocking, timing...anything volleyball related proved to be challenging to him but the first year did not waver. "Kenma-san! Please toss to me!" 

"But practice is over..." Kenma grumbled, slouching over as the boy ran up to him. 

"But Nekomata-sensei told you to help me." Lev pouted, already grabbing a ball from the basket. Kenma sighed, reluctantly agreeing. He took the ball from Lev and waited for the boy to get into position. 

Lev missed ball after ball after ball. Kenma tried his best to adjust to the boy but Lev was never consistent with his jumps or swings. Sometimes he's jump lower, or higher. He'd swing too fast or too slow. Lev would sometimes reach for the ball or not extend his arm all the way. The duo seemed to be getting nowhere and Kenma gave up not long after. 

The team went to 8-eleven after practice. Kuroo, Kenma, and (y/n) sat on the bench, waiting for the rest of the team outside. (y/n) happily drank her slurpee. The drink tasted even more delicious after a long day of practice. 

"Looks like you got it rough, setting for Lev." Kuroo thought out loud as he chewed on his popsicle. 

"Yeah ever since he joined...I haven't really interacted with him." Kenma absentmindedly agreed, trying to focus on his game.