seven

𝕪𝕠𝕦𝕣 𝕨𝕠𝕣𝕕𝕤 𝕛𝕦𝕤𝕥 𝕙𝕪𝕡𝕟𝕠𝕥𝕚𝕫𝕖 𝕞𝕖

john b and reese were woken the next morning to the cops at their door. more specifically peterkins who was actually very caring and nurturing of the two kids. you could tell she genuinely wanted to help them, but they were in denial of their dads death.

while reese was sleeping john b talked to the sheriff worried that she was trying to take them into custody. they made a mutual agreement that the pogues wouldn't mess with the marsh and in return she would keep the dcs from taking them.

john b agreed and she left. reese had woken up shortly after taking advil before going to ask if john was okay. her memory of the night was shaky. she remembered jj rejecting her, and john b getting in a tussle with topper.

reese's pov

"john b are you okay?" i asked touching the bruise on his face.

"i'm fine i'm fine. peterkins was over today. she said she could protect us if we don't go in the marsh." john b said and i smiled. i didn't really think there was anything for us in the marsh so i was happy.

"okay that's good. we just need to lay low i'm going to go help clean up around the neighborhood." i said before messing with his hair and putting on shoes. i spent about and hour cleaning up and helping people out.

i was mainly doing this to stay out of the house to avoid jj. it's going to be so awkward next time i'm around him. i was so dumb to think he'd like me. whatever just pretend you don't remember i mean i barley do anyway.

as i was cleaning i saw jj on his bike with pope on the back of it. they stopped in front of me. "what up reeses you sleep well?" jj asked and i shrugged. "i mean i guess why?" i asked.

"oh i was just wondering since you ya know." he said making a gesture like he was drinking. i just groaned flipping him off. he isn't gonna let me forget i already know it.

i walked back to the house to see kei already there and jj and pope getting off the bike. i grabbed jj's arm and pulled him to the side. "look i don't really remember much from last night, but please don't tell my brother." i said begging him.

"you don't remember? i can remind you, you were actually pretty crazy and you said some things i can't believe like oh let's see that you like—" i put my hand over his mouth and shushed him.

"jj i was drunk okay don't use that against me and i thought we agreed that you wouldn't mention it again?" i said and he licked my hand so i pulled it away. he started to walk towards me and i slowly backed away.

i eventually ran into the tree and i swallowed hard looking at the ground before looking up to him. "oh so you do remember?" he smiled laughing and i just hit his shoulder.

"fuck off." i said walking away. he was really going to use this against me? i mean i don't think he'd actually tell the gang, but he'll definitely torment me with the information.

we went to the back yard and sat on the porch. we all chilled for a bit then john b walked out. "i'm calling the search off. peterkins can keep us safe from dcs if we stay out of the marsh." he said and jj got up mad.

"and you believe her? a cop?" he said mad. "if it keeps me here then yes." i said and he looked at us. "they always win don't they man? kooks always win." he said punching a ball.

"calm down jj it's probably nothing anyway." i said and he laughed. "nothing? they wouldn't want us to stay out of the marsh for nothing. they're hiding something. i get it you not wanting to go pope your the golden boy." he said.

"and i get you kei i mean you're already rich as fuck anyway but you and me man we got nothing to lose." he said pointing between the two. "neither do i." i states looking at him and he stared down at me.

"yes you do are you kidding me? you're smart and i'm almost positive you're going to be a division 1 track runner." he said and i rolled my eyes. "i have just as much as you and john b."

"whatever you can do it as long as it's safe, but look john b we have nothing to lose and i know it didn't used to be this way, but-" jj started and john b listened to him. and that's how we ended up here.

back in the marsh the opposite of what we were supposed to be doing. i brought a popsicle from kei's house and was sucking on it while john b grabbed the scuba gear.

i continued to suck on the popsicle not being able to bite into it and jj was watching me eat it. it was starting to melt so i licked the sides and before i could put it back in my mouth jj knocked it into the water.

"what the fuck?" i said mad. he just shrugged and looked at the water, "there was a fly on it." he said and i didn't believe him at all. "who cares if there was you've eaten worse." i said mad.

"you owe me a popsicle." i said as john b walked back to the boat. we got to the marsh and realized then that the tanks had no oxygen in them except one had a quarter.

"anyone know how to dive?" kei asked and no one raised their hand. i pointed to jj and he looked at me before shaking his head and pointing at john b. "no it's more of a kook sport." i said looking at kei.

"i've read about it." pope said. "great popes read about it someone gonna die." she said and i was immediately worried. i didn't want anyone to die. i don't think i could handle it.

"you put the thing in your mouth and breath how hard could it be?" jj asked. "if you come up to fast the nitrogen gets in your blood stream and you get the bends." pope said and i was confused. "bends what like bend over?" jj said bending over looking at me and i laughed.

"the bends kill you." he said seriously and jj and i stopped messing around. "right." jj said. "i can- i can dive." john b said and i immediately objected while jj said he was cool with it. "john b you aren't doing this." i said.

pope and john b talked about how to dive and while they did that kei jumped in the water. "what was that?" pope asked. "i don't know but i liked it like a lot." he said and i immediately got pissed off.

"john b please don't dive okay i don't want to lose you. i'll do it instead i have a bigger lung capacity probably." i said and of course everyone refused. "you aren't doing it reeses cup." jj said and i sighed.

"i tied my shirt 10 feet down." kei said getting in the boat. john b was dressed in the scuba suit now and we walked through the plan. "be careful." i said upset. "diver down?" kei said kissing his cheek as he got in the water. "diver down." john b said before going under water.

i sat there a nervous wreck and jj, pope, and kei tried to keep me from think about it. i suddenly couldn't catch my breath and knew i was having a panic attack at the thought of losing him.

"reese breathe its okay i promise he's going to be okay." jj said hugging me as i tried to catch my breathe. i finally caught it and nodded. "he'll be okay." i said to myself.