FOUR

❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀

T H I S   L I V I N G   H A N D

❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀

The refreshments table was the first place Willa went to as soon as the music had ended, briefly exchanging a goodbye to Thomas after the two agreed to meet up a bit later in the evening. Willa hadn't thought much of it when she saw Thomas walk off to talk once again with Alastair Carstairs, only a fleeting look of confusion crossed her face before she was turning around and heading off towards the refreshments table.

Dancing could be a lot of work so it was no surprise that she was beyond dehydrated. Her glass of water tasted like none she had ever had before just because of how thirsty she actually was and Willa took no time in downing the drink like one of the shot glasses from Devil's Tavern.

"I might suggest drinking a little slower unless your intention is to drown yourself which, seeing how this evening is going, I would completely understand," Matthew's voice spoke up from behind her. Willa about choked on her drink and she coughed a few times before quickly turning around, her cheeks dusted a light pink while Matthew just stood there with a smirk on his face and a sparkle of amusement in his eyes.

"Very funny and very tempting, Matthew," Willa replied, hurriedly putting on her Herondale charm to hide the minor embarrassment she felt.

Matthew chuckled and gave the girl an unreadable look before reaching out and picking up his own glass. "That was smart thinking having me switch places with James. No one seemed to notice a thing," Matthew spoke up.

"Being parabatai means you two are practically interchangeable," Willa joked. "Besides, Cordelia needed a dance partner more than I did at the moment."

"Indeed, but that still doesn't lessen the guilt I have for leaving you behind," Matthew sighed. "Even if Thomas took my place, I still feel awful for doing that to you."

"Matthew—" Willa began, a soft sigh escaping her lips as she felt her heart skip a beat as his words.

"Let me make it up to you," Matthew cut her off, his eyes glued on the cup in his hand as he sloshed the liquid around in disinterest. Willa momentarily wondered if he was wishing it were rum in the cup instead of water, but was brought out of her thoughts when the blonde looked back up at her with his sparkling green eyes and flashed her one of his grins. "Perhaps you wouldn't mind my company for one more dance?"

Willa stared at the boy for a moment, pretending to ponder on his proposal despite knowing she would always say yes. "I guess I can allow you the glory of being in my presence for another song," Willa teased, her words making Matthew chuckle and lightly shake his head at her.