FOURTEEN

❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀

A M O N G   L I O N S

❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀

By the time Willa reached home, she couldn't find herself able to go to bed. All she could think about was everything going on. With Barbara's death, the demon attacks, James' heartbreak, and her feelings for Matthew growing with every passing hour, it was hard for her mind to stay quiet.

Instead she found herself roaming the halls, her eyes flickering over each of the pictures on the wall before she hesitated outside of Thomas' bedroom. She knew he was in there, but seeing as he was probably trying to fall asleep she forced herself to turn away.

Willa was glad she did for if she hadn't, she would not have noticed James dashing across the hallway and towards the drawing room. Furrowing her eyebrows, the dark haired girl moved down the hallway as quickly as she could before stopping in front of the room James had disappeared into moments before. There was a light on inside and she could hear the soft murmuring of voices which only made her more curious.

Pushing the door open to get a better look, Willa frowned slightly before questioning, "Are we having sibling meetings without me now? Is this what betrayal feels like?" Lucie and James both looked her way, relaxing once they saw the teasing smile on her face.

"Of course not," Lucie assured her. "I was in here and James just walked in. We were just talking about how Grace is to become Matthew's sister."

Willa grimaced as she walked into the room more. "I hadn't thought of that," she muttered. "How awful."

"And incredibly awkward as well," Lucie agreed. Her and James shared a look before glancing towards their sister with smirks. "About Matthew—" she began.

"What about Matthew?" Willa asked, forcing herself not to blush just by the mere mention of his name or the looks her siblings were giving her. The way they stared at her made it seem like they knew something, but what could that possibly be?

"Willa," James spoke slowly as if he were trying to think of how to word what he was thinking. "Do you. . .care for Matthew?"

Willa blinked before giving them a confused grin, "Of course I do. He's one of my best friends. Why wouldn't I care for him?"

"No," James said, shaking his head. "I mean really care for him. As in, do you fancy him?"

Willa went still at that, her mouth falling open a bit while her eyes widened. Lucie was trying to hold back a grin while James looked at her expectantly, each of them with a small gleam in their eyes as if they already knew the answer.