EIGHTEEN

❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀

D A R K N E S S S T I R S

❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀

DAYS OF PAST:
Shadowhunter Academy, 1899

The world was quiet that morning, as if it were mourning with the young Herondale girl who sat alone on the steps of the Academy. Willa was stark white, her face devoid of an emotions that the people who did happen to walk by couldn't help but wonder if she might be dead. However, they knew better than to assume that. After all, this was the state anyone would be able to find the girl in since James Herondale, Matthew Fairchild, and Christopher Lightwood got expelled two weeks prior.

Willa's hand slowly clenched into a fist repeatedly, her eyes focused on nothing but the destroyed south wing of the Academy, the only physical reminder of the day her heart was ripped to shreds.

All she could think about was Matthew and James. Matthew who had stolen her best friend with a flash of that smile of his. James who, although being stunned by the boy's announcement, had agreed without hesitation and without noticing the pain it inflicted upon his sister.

The dark haired girl swallowed thickly, her grey-blue eyes flickering over the mess that she remembered watching blow up only seconds after Thomas had run out in order to pull her out of the front yard and into the building for cover.

It was as if her mind was stuck on an endless loop of that day, trying so desperately to figure out the point in time in which she had messed up. The fraction of a second in which she had truly lost her brother.

Willa was so lost in her thoughts that she didn't even notice the sound of footsteps and the small sigh of relief coming from behind her. She only snapped somewhat back to attention when someone plopped down beside her, her grey-blue eyes locking with a pair of hazel ones almost instantly.

She looked away with a sigh, forcing a small smile onto her face as she whispered in greeting, "Thomas."

"Willa," Thomas said with a slight nod, his eyes still obviously focused on her face. "How have you been doing? I haven't seen you around much."

"I've just been focusing on my studies is all," Willa replied, not wanting to go into what was really going on and hoping Thomas would take that as an answer.

But the boy was smart and she knew he had already grown to read her like an open book. "Willa," he said a bit sternly. "I know you're upset. Is it because the others have left and you're now stuck suffering through being alone with me?"