THIRTEEN

❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀

B L U E   R U I N

❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀

Breakfast the next morning with Thomas was more awkward than usual. Willa couldn't even bring herself to eat. All she could think about was the events of the previous night. She could still feel Matthew's lips brushing against hers, his hands burning the skin that he had touched. She could still hear his voice whispering to her and the chills that had raced down her spine.

It didn't help that Thomas was watching her curiously, obviously having noticed her unusual quietness. Being only the two of them at breakfast that morning, Thomas didn't dismiss Willa's odd behavior as he would've if the others were around. Usually he didn't like to draw unnecessary attention to her, but seeing as they were the only two present, Thomas didn't have a care in the world.

"What is it, Tom?" Willa finally asked, her eyes flickering over to the boy while he continued to watch her with narrowed eyes.

"You're acting strange," Thomas commented, lifting his cup of coffee up and taking a long sip as he watched her. Eventually he set his cup down and thumped his fingers against the wooden table before asking, "What happened?"

"Nothing has happened, Thomas," Willa insisted, her voice raising a bit. "I was just busy worrying about James last night and didn't get much sleep is all. I'm tired, but other then that I'm quite alright. No need to worry about me."

Thomas was silent for a moment out of surprise before he blinked and nodded his head, "Alright, then. I believe you." He dropped his gaze and a flicker of guilt washed over Willa's face because she wanted to tell Thomas what had happened, but the moment he looked back up, the guilt was gone and she was blank faced again.

"I don't know what you have planned for the day, Willy, but I'm off to see Christopher and help him out if that sounds alright? You, of course, are welcome to come with. Christopher and I would love to have you in the lab with us," Thomas said, standing up the flatten his shirt and brush a strand of hair out of his face.

He flashed the girl that warm smile of his despite the obvious pain in his eyes and Willa returned it before saying, "Anytime I get to spend with you and Christopher is my favorite. You know that. However, I believe it's best if I stay back and check on James for today. I'm still worried and would hate to leave without seeing him. Will you be alright on your own?"

"I completely understand," Thomas said, moving around the table and over to the girl so that he could swoop down and press a small kiss to the top of her head which Willa smiled at before the boy squeezed her shoulder. "And I'll be alright, Willy. I promise. Try not to stress yourself out too much today in your worried state. You know how you get when James is hurting and you can't do anything about it."