01. I Don't Want To Change

"This is total shit," I say.

My Dad sighs on the phone. "It's just for the rest of the year, JJ."

"I don't want to be at some rich as fuck boarding school where I can't see my friends."

"Your friends are why got you there in the first place," he says sternly. "And stop using that language."

I roll my eyes.

"You've only been there for what? Two weeks?" He's saying. "And you've already gotten three detentions. Now stop being a stubborn brat and finish this year peacefully."

Why should I make it easy for them? I didn't want to be here in the first place.

"Night, Dad," I tell him and I don't wait for his reply as I hang up on him.

No one went out of their way to talk to me here. They stared because they knew what I've done. It wasn't anything bad, all my life I've just been having fun.

And so I didn't talk to them. But I did make chaos wherever I went. I wanted out of this place and I've never tried so hard at anything in my life. But the teachers never even sent me to the headmaster. Just dealt with me themselves. I did minor things like draw on my book or some shit like that.

My roommate barely talked to me, either. She was polite, but that was it. She didn't talk to me unless necessary. I think her name was Monica, but I wasn't really listening when she introduced herself briefly. I didn't particularly care, though.

I've been to five different high schools in four years. I got suspended for small things.

...like setting fire to your last school's gymnasium.

That's as an accident, though. It made no difference to the principal. It was made clear that I wasn't going to see my friends for a whole year by my father. They were sent away, too.

Monica saw me on the couch and nodded to me, her red hair in a ponytail bouncing as she did so. I sighed heavily and turned my attention to the TV.

Outerbanks really was the best. I munched on some popcorn as I watched John B go down a muddy hole. What was the hype about him? Pope was much better in my opinion. Or JJ. JJ was a total ass, but he was definite eye candy.

"Are you watching Outerbanks?" Monica asks softly. She was too sweet, and too fake all at the same time. She was super tall and skinny, and muscular despite it. She was beautiful and I didn't question for a second why the playboy of this school, Landon Rowe had his eyes on her. She's was a total catch and he would have no problem deteriorating her innocence piece by piece. She had a thing for him. All girls did here. But I had no interest in him. Not like that, anyway. He would be used once and discarded by me, and no doubt he had the same mentality about every other girl. But everyone thought they could change him.

I don't answer her. She thinks I didn't hear her, and repeats herself. I look over to her, deadpanning, "Yes, don't feel free to join me." Okay, maybe I was the one shutting her out. Because she was clearly trying to make an effort and I wasn't helping her at all.

She cringed.

I tried again, sighing. "Yes, it's Outerbanks." I even shift over and put my legs down on the small carpet so she can sit on the other end.

She smiles a little without teeth and sits down next to me.

"Who's your favorite?" She asks.

I consider, but end up shrugging. "Probably Pope. Or JJ."

She frowns. "Not John B?"

"He's a total tool," I tell her truthfully. I glance sidelong at her. "Has a hero complex. Not my favorite."