09. Memories

{This whole short chapter is just a few summaries about JJ's childhood memories.}

I was biking down our driveway when I fell and hit my head. BH was at my side in an instant. Blood ran down the side of my face, and he was panicking because my head split open. I hit it on a really big rock when I was six. My mother, being a doctor and all, knew I needed to get to the hospital because she wasn't that kind of doctor.

BH kept me awake. He nudged me awake constantly as I closed my eyes every five minutes. Dad was practically racing to the hospital.

When I woke up, my mother and BH were by my side. And when my mother had to go to work, even if she fought me on it, I told her to go when I woke from my surgery. So BH stayed with me. He was so worried and he took care of me.

He was my real parent.

My dad was out a lot, but he always came back at night. My mom has to work a lot and she had a lot of patients. So BH was with me almost every night, cooking and playing folks with me.

Even when I was twelve and I started hanging out with Aria, BH was with me through all of our silly fights, telling me things got better in high school and that I wouldn't worry about the dumb arguments anymore.

When I was thirteen, BH's friend came over. His name was Markus. Markus tried to ambush me in my room and convince me to have sex with him. I was a virgin, and I said no. And when he tried to kiss me, he grabbed me by the face. I was so small, and he was a football player and I had no strength against him. BH came looking for Markus, and watched as he forced himself on me, kissing me and me bristling under him. I tried pushing away from him, but I couldn't. He was too tall, too big.

BH was a scrawny guy, but he managed to hit Markus pretty good. But in the end, Markus won and my brother couldn't stop him from grabbing and groping. When he tore half of my shirt from the struggle, BH was behind him, smashing him in the forehead with a baseball bat. BH didn't stop apologizing for a long time. Mainly because he thought it was his fault that someone he considered a friend would do something like that.

I didn't blame BH. It wasn't his fault. I told him as much. He didn't think it was enough.

Hero complexes suck.

I know because BH was one.

And I loved the hell out of him.