18. The Moon

Another week went by and it contained a few mishaps. Gideon and I couldn't even look at each other without touching, which took a minute to figure out.

He came out of the shower, I made eye contact with him and the towel nearly fell off because he was shocked to find me staring at his waist and his pecs. He was actually pretty built for a scrawny guy. He dint have abs or anything, but I definitely did not mind looking.

But I hated to see his broken thumb.

I refused to even touch him anymore. Everything was electricity and sparks when I was around him.

It's not like I was denying any attraction to him, because I knew. I knew deep down that I did like Gideon. But it's me, the girl who has never dated a boy and never slept with the same one twice.

I didn't want that to be Gideon. He wasn't like the other boys I was attracted to. The ones I went for weren't nice, or pure, and they certainly didn't blush like him. And they didn't have his eyes, either. Or his smile. Or anything of his.

I've only known Gideon for a little more than a month now. At least formally. I knew of him for about a month or two, considering it's October and we started school in the beginning of August.

So it's not like I'm in love with Gideon, but I see that potential. And love scares me. Everyone I love has died.

Even if Gideon didn't die if I loved him, he would leave or get pissed at me. I would make him infuriated.

Gideon and I were like oil and water. We couldn't mix.

I put on a blue crop top sweater and ripped mom jeans before heading out. There was a football game and I was going to make fun of the players with Aria.

And no, Gideon was not coming. He knew I was, but I think he got the hint that I needed space to think.

I met up with Aria at the top of one of the bleachers. "Football is stupid," is the first thing I say to her when we sit down on the cold steel.

"Exactly why we'll make fun of it." She smiled at me.

"Hey, Mya," I said, looking past Aria and to the raven haired girl next to her.

"Hey," she says, clearly distracted. I raised an eyebrow at Aria. Did Mya not like me?

"She actually likes football," Aria yells over the loud cheering. "Her girlfriend's on the team," she informs me.

"Oh, really? What number?" I ask, looking down at the players and searching for their numbers on the blue jerseys.

"13," Mya says, still in a trance.

I looked and analyze that number. "Oh, Monica?"

"You know her?"

"She was my old roommate."

"Oh, right." She nods. "She complained about you a lot."

I snickered. "Rightfully so." I frown. "I didn't make it easy for her." I look back at Mya. "Apologize for me?"

"Sure."

Awkward silence was the worst kind of silence. Luckily, we didn't have that. Aria was pretty chatty once she saw a player with a nice ass. Mya has to agree. Even I had to, too. The man had serious cake.

He was the type of boy I would have went for. He was attractive and built and looked like he would have taken me up on an offer to go back to his room.

But I just didn't care about stuff like that anymore.

Aria must have noticed his attractive face, too because as soon as he took off his helmet, she tapped my thigh. "Why don't you go for him?"