f o u r t e e n

Insecurity and self- doubt was a bitch.

The growing overbearing feeling of not being good enough made her feel like she was drowning.

She couldn't help it.

Even while growing up, Aurora constantly doubted herself. She always told herself that she was never good enough and often compared herself to others around her, despite knowing it was unhealthy for her to live her life that way.

It didn't help that she had a horrible experience in high school. Girls would constantly hate on her for no apparent reason, talking behind her back and spreading nasty rumors. She always kept to herself, and she made sure she was kind to everyone around her. She didn't know what she did that was so wrong.

But her older brother was there to protect her. Connor was the complete opposite of Aurora—athletic, tall, and outgoing. He was popular with everyone at school, while Aurora preferred to shy away from crowds. Only a year older than her, he still saw her as his baby sister. Their close bond caused him to be over-protective over her and he often gave those girls shit for bullying his only sister.

It didn't last though.

When Connor left for college, everyone seemed to find the opportunity to make her senior year horrible. The bullying got worse and it seemed like everyone was out to get her. She remembered crying herself to sleep every night quietly under the covers, afraid she was going to wake her parents up. Her parents have always taught her to be confident and to speak up for herself. She was sure they would be disappointed in her.

It wasn't until she was cornered one day after school towards the end of the school year by her tormentors. The group consisted of the queen bees of the school and their jock boyfriends.

Stereotypical, right?

The guys began to harass her physically, while the girls just stood by watching and laughing. Aurora yelled and screamed until a teacher finally heard the commotion. By then, however, Aurora had already been scarred.

All it took was one incident for her to completely break and hide away in her shell.

Her parents were immediately notified. They threatened to sue the students involved and the school for allowing the bullying to get to this point. Her brother was absolutely livid. He immediately flew home from college and went after all of the culprits.

Meanwhile, Aurora continued to hide away with nightmares plaguing her at night. Her parents watched as their only daughter fall into an abyss. She was in a dark place—hitting an all time low with her now constant self- doubt and insecurity. Emptiness consumed her as she continued to doubt herself and bring herself down. She felt vulnerable and exposed as depression and anxiety overtook her.

Until she met Maddie during her first year of college.

Maddie played a huge role in helping Aurora find herself, which was one of the reasons why Aurora's parents adored Maddie so much. She was able to bring back the old happy and cheerful Aurora that everyone had missed so much.

Aurora sat in her living room thinking. The television was on, but Aurora paid no attention to it as she was too preoccupied with her consuming thoughts. The feelings she felt from high school and the hurt she felt from her toxic relationship with her ex were slowly coming back.

A knock on the door caused Aurora wiped away the stray tears that fell. She hated herself for being so weak.

Her sock clad feet padded softly to the door. As soon as she opened the door, she was greeted with no one. Confused, Aurora took a step forward, looking around to see if anyone was there.