t h i r t y t h r e e

"Xavier, I really don't need you here 24/7 keeping an eye on me whenever I'm in the kitchen."

Aurora huffed, throwing a glare at her meddling boyfriend who sat in front of the breakfast bar at the large kitchen island. It was like he didn't have a multibillion company to run.

Xavier opened his mouth to protest but was cut off again with Aurora's grumbling.

"I mean, I'm really not that hopeless. Rosa's been teaching me and I think I'm capable of making a simple dish. Plus, it's Megan's first day with us and I just want to cook her a homemade meal."

Aurora's pout grew when Xavier didn't budge. She stood in front of him across the island with her hands on her hips, glowering at him.

And yet again, he remained unfazed.

Aurora had officially moved in with Xavier and she never realized how much she actually owned. She tended to hold onto items that she justified with the excuse of "maybe needing it later". Her logic also included the ideology that cleaning up was just hiding everything in her drawers.

Out of sight, out of mind.

This didn't work quite well with Xavier, especially when they spent days going through her things, dividing them into two separate piles.

The keep pile vs. the throwaway pile.

She even found some of her old notes back from grad school, which made Xavier stare at her with disbelief. And those definitely went in the throwaway pile. Xavier wouldn't even allow an 'I think I'll need this later, but I'm not quite sure' pile. Hence why they spent hours since Aurora was terrible at letting things go.

In all honesty, she would've just stuffed everything into a single box. To her defense, it would've saved a lot of time.

"Really, babe? You're still going to watch over me?" She deadpanned, pointing the tongs in her hands at Xavier. "I just need to sauté the veggies and grill the meat. I wrote down step by step what I need to do and it really doesn't seem that hard."

Xavier's eyes drifted from his stubborn girlfriend who refused any help to the pan behind her. He raised an eyebrow.

"The pan's on fire."

Aurora scoffed and rolled her eyes at his nonsense, talking as she turned back to the stove. "What do you mean the pa- Oh, fuck the pan's on fire."

Her eyes widened with panic at the flame that had somehow magically appeared in the pan. Quickly, she grabbed the pan, not knowing what to do with it. Moving back and forth with panic, she finally threw the pan into the sink and turned the water on.

She could hear Xavier's snickering behind her as she watched the flame disappear in an instant. Aurora frowned as she stared at the remnants of what was suppose to be sautéed broccolini.

"This is all your fault," she muttered when she felt his presence behind her.

Xavier chuckled, wrapping his arms around her waist. "How is this my fault, sweetheart?"

"You were distracting me!" She threw her hands up with despair as she continued to stare at the burnt pan. "I was doing so well, too."

"Mmm, I don't know about that," he murmured next to her ear, placing a kiss on the skin behind her ear.

Grumbling, she elbowed him, hoping to get a reaction out of him. But instead of hurting him, she was sure her elbow took most of the hit. What was he, made out of steel?

With a grunt, she began to scrub the pan, hoping to erase any traces of scorched broccolini.

"Are you mad at me?"