t w e n t y t h r e e

"So, you're dating my daughter?"

Xavier sat rigidly in his seat, feeling his girlfriend's mother's stare on him. To say he was nervous would be an understatement.

"Yes, ma'am," Xavier replied politely, masking his voice with confidence. What he was feeling on the inside was the complete opposite of what he was portraying, a trait he had taken years to perfect.

He had never been put into this situation and the fact that Aurora had gone to put her things in her room, leaving the two alone, did not help the situation at all. This just made him ten times more nervous and he just hoped his girlfriend would come back soon.

A small smile began to form on Aurora's mother's face as she continued to stare at Xavier, making him shift uncomfortably. Yes he was Xavier Knight, the ruthless and cold billionaire, yet sitting in front of his girlfriend's mom made him feel incredibly small.

"Mom, stop staring at him. You're going to scare him away," muttered Aurora as she came back into the room, taking a seat besides him at the dining table. Xavier let out a sigh of relief as he laced their fingers together and giving it a squeeze.

Aurora squeezed his hand back, as if apologizing for leaving him alone with her mother. She was still wearing his clothes, but had slipped on a pair of shorts and fuzzy socks.

"Am I scaring you, dear?" Her mom asked with an all too innocent face, causing Aurora to close her eyes with embarrassment. Aurora knew her mom was doing this on purpose.

"Of course not, Mrs. Young," he denied quickly, wanting to get on her good side.

Aurora gave her mother a glare as a small chuckle left the older woman's mouth, her eyes crinkling with amusement. "Enough with that nonsense. You can call me Heather."

Xavier's mouth opened and closed in disbelief, his shoulders sagging with relief. It seemed like Aurora's mother liked him, which was a good start.

"Did you two have breakfast yet?" Asked Heather, as she began to take the small takeout boxes out of the bag and place them onto the table. "I bought your favorite."

"Not yet," murmured Aurora, leaning over to open the boxes. Her mouth watered as her favorite dim sum dishes sat in front of them. "When did you get here?"

Xavier watched as Aurora's eyes sparkled with happiness before turning to look at the dishes in front of him with curiosity. A delicious smell filled the space and as he looked down, he noticed that it was quite different from the breakfast he would usually eat.

"Right before you two came in," Heather placed 3 plates and chopsticks in front of them

"Right before you two came in," Heather placed 3 plates and chopsticks in front of them. She began to pile food onto Xavier's plate as he graciously thanked her. "I thought you were still sleeping in your room and I was planning to wake you up at 11. Xavier, dear, eat up."

Wanting to be polite, Xavier clumsily picked up what looked like a shrimp wrapped in translucent edible paper and placed it into his mouth. His eyes widened with surprise— the flavor deliciously filling his mouth. Although he wasn't use to using chopsticks, he still wanted to impress Heather.