t h i r t y

"Hey, gorgeous."

Xavier pulled Aurora close, bending down to capture her lips in his. She giggled when he pulled away and playfully nipped her lips.

"Hey, handsome," She grinned up at him, placing another kiss on his lips. She wrapped her arms around his neck, smiling up at her boyfriend.

"You ready?" He asked, keeping his arms tightly secured around her waist.

"Yes sir," she winked. "Just let me get my purse."

Aurora attempted to turn around, but Xavier seemingly didn't want to let her go. She looked up to playfully glare at him. "Xavier!"

"Hmm?" He looked down at her with an innocent smirk.

"You're going to have to let me go," she laughed, pinching his arm. With a pout, he finally let her go.

Aurora quickly ran to her room to grab her purse and phone before returning to where Xavier was waiting near the door. She slipped on her shoes and Xavier led her out of her apartment with his hand holding hers.

"What are we doing today?" She asked excitedly when they got to his parked car. She was practically bouncing in her shoes from the excitement. Because of their busy work schedule, they had decided that the weekends would be their date days— days where they would just focus on them.

Xavier opened the door for her and shut the door when she got in. He didn't answer her question yet, wanting to keep her anticipation high. He quickly jogged to the driver's side and slipped in.

Leaning over the center console, he brought his hand up to tilt Aurora's face towards him. Her eyes were practically begging for him to tell her where they were going for their date. Grinning, he placed a chaste kiss on her lips before finally answering her question.

"Well," he pulled back and started the car, smoothly backing out of the parking space. "I was thinking— since we have all day and the weather is getting warmer, we could drive up to Santa Barbara Botanic Garden and have a picnic."

Her eyes lit up as a grin spread on her face. "I love picnics."

"I know," he stated as he smoothly maneuvered onto the freeway. He grabbed her left hand and intertwined her fingers with his. "I remember all the little things you mention, love."

Aurora brought their intertwined hands up and kissed the back of his hand. "Such a romantic."

"Only for you, sweetheart."

She shook her head at his cheesiness and looked out at the ongoing traffic. It was only 11 am, so the traffic wasn't too bad, especially considering it was the weekend.

Xavier's hand didn't leave hers even as they merged onto the 1 Freeway. She loved driving down the 1 freeway because it ran next to the beautiful and vast ocean that sparkled in the sunlight. The blue skies remained clear as they continued towards their destination.

Aurora drifted into a light sleep, the distant music playing from the car speakers lulled her into a slumber. Xavier rubbed calming circles on her hand as he continued to drive. Giving her slumped figure a quick glance, he smiled at how adorable she looked with her mouth slightly opened. She seemed to be able to fall asleep anywhere.

Suddenly, she was jerked awake when the car swerved. Their eyes widened as a car came crashing into them head-on. A loud sound echoed in her ears as Xavier shouted her name.

"Aurora!"

Almost as if on instinct, he turned his figure towards Aurora, taking most of the impact. Her head hit the window, causing her to blackout for a second.