X-roads

a/n

So, basically I've uploaded the first few chapters of the rewrite for the second book but I have to change this chapter of this so it makes sense. A couple of things throughout the rest of Titanium might be a little wonky for a bit but I'll fix it.

Shatter knocks on the door frame and Reed and Caitlin turn to face him and Sage. "We got some bad news," he says.

"Something went wrong," Sage explains, shaking her head. She was worried, they could see it. "I wish I could tell you more but for now all we know is what we've learned from the police reports."

"Did they get Campbell?" Ivee asks, walking up behind Caitlin and Reed.

Shatter shakes his head, looking down and sighing. "No. He got away."

"Then we should go out there and back them up," Andy says.

Sage shakes her head. "They're two states away."

"It'd be too late by the time we got there," Shatter agrees. "Look, we'll keep you guys posted if anything changes."

The two walk away and Caitlin and Reed turn back to the kids. "Shatter's right, they're on their own for now. And so are we."

"Maybe we can help," Andy insists. "You don't know."

"There are people to protect here," Lauren says.

Ivee nods, looking at Andy. "When the X-Men founded this place, they didn't say run off whenever you're pissed."

Andy rolls his eyes at the girl. "Our friends might not be coming back. Aren't you pissed?"

"Of course, we are," Ivee argues. "But we've got a job here."

Reed steps towards them, holding his hand between the two teens. "Guys, we can't keep fighting each other. We have to be strong as a family."

"I'm the one who wants us to be strong," Andy says.

"You mean you want us to be the Von Struckers again," Lauren snaps. "You sound like the Frost sisters."

"What's wrong with that?" Andy exclaims. "They're willing to face reality. I mean, the humans are coming after us."

"The humans, Andy?" Reed remarks. "And I coming after you? Is your mother?"

Andy huffs and shakes his head. "I didn't..." He clenches his fists and groans. "You know what I meant."

He rushes from the room, and down the stairs. Ivee goes after him, calling out his name as she gets closer.

"Leave me alone," He says, not turning to look at her as he makes his way to the vault.

Ivee grabs his arm, turning him towards her. "I'm not gonna do that. Okay? Just... talk to me."

"About what?" he says, not making eye contact. "I'm fine. Everything is fine."

Ivee doesn't say anything. She just wraps her arms around him. They hadn't had a chance to actually talk about what happened and with the Frost sisters in both of their heads it made it harder to even know where to start. Andy places his hands on her shoulders, wanting to push her away. But he can't. He's never been able to because he needs her. More importantly he needs to protect her.

"Hey," Lauren says, walking towards them. Andy lets go first. Ivee steps back, looking up at him. She waits for him to look at her. When he doesn't, she looks to Lauren, who can see something is wrong.

"Look, I know you're going through a lot right now," she says. "What happened at that lab affected me too."

"Affected you how?" Andy says. "You've acted like nothing's changed."