|C.2|

✩✩✩✩✩✩✩

✩✩✩✩✩✩✩

She didn't know how she knew the name to the creature, but that was the least of her concerns. A shiver of goosebumps slithered across Blake's arms as her and the boy stared at the creature with the clearest of fear.

The Griever looked familiar like she had seen it multiple times. It was part animal, part machine, rolling across the pavement of the Maze. It made that clicking sound that drilled in Blake's head. Its body was like a slug in which had clear slimy goo clinging onto it. Grotesquely breaths came in and out of the creature.

Sharp spikes poked in and out its body every few seconds, only to disappear ever ball like roll. A sticky slurp like sound was made every time the spikes were pushed back into its moist skin.

Many different mechanical arms stuck out of its skin, each one with a different purpose to harm. Different sized needles poked out here or there. One arm had a three-fingered claw that clasped and unclasped mirroring a claw machine. When the creature rolled, these many arms folded to avoid being crushed.

She pushed her lips together, forcing any whimper or scream to not fall. Her stomach twisted into a tight knot. Maybe it was safe up here since the boy was here, she thought.

The Griever made that familiar clicking sound as it rolled in a zigzag. An overwhelming smell threatens to make her gag; the smell of overheated engines and rotten flesh. Blake peeked at the boy without moving her stiff head. He had his eyes shut tightly, like a closed-door that couldn't be opened.

The creature reached the door and stood there. Although the creature was closer to the boy towards her right, she knew that this creature could kill him in seconds; which wouldn't bear her any time to getaway.

Leave us alone, she screamed in her head.

It was as if it didn't want to listen to her pleading thoughts. The creature rolled to Blake and the boy.

Just great!

The Griever shined lights that came from one of many robotic arms, searching around the ivy for its prey. Lights flicked around for what felt like a lifetime.

Then, without an answer to why, the lights went out.

The darkness felt like death, like even though she wasn't-she felt dead. But then Blake noticed that the creature wasn't moving. No sounds-no movement. The creature didn't search with its eyes, instead with something else...

The creature was blind.

But if it couldn't see, what else was it using to find them? Could it smell or hear them? Probably.

The creature stood still like it was taunting them, letting the fear of their deaths soak in. Blake wanted to dissolve into the stone wall behind her.

The creature abruptly started to move, but not away. Instead, the creature started to climb the wall.

Her wall.

Blake was frozen as the creature started to climb, pointing a bright light at the boy next to her. The creature made a hissing sound as it grew closer to the boy and her. Shredded root vines and chipped rocks flew everywhere. The scene was something you would witness in a horror movie or in a nightmare, only this was real and there was no waking up.

"Come on," the boy told her, but the sound of his voice only echoed around in her head.

The boy started to climb to her side and his touch brought her back to reality. She knew that there was one way to survive. They had to get out of there.

The boy seemed to swing effortless across the vines like he was some kind of monkey. She repeated his action, although hers came more clumsy. The creature was gaining on them.

CLICK. CLICK. CLICK.

Blake cursed herself as her foot tangled in the ropy vines.

"Help!" She cried for the boy's aid. The boy turned quickly to help stabilize her. Blake then noticed that the clicking and shredding stopped. Why did it stop, she thought.

After her foot was untangled and they started to swing again; they heard the clicking restarting. She grabbed vine after vine, her arms growing exhausted. Suddenly, the boy slammed into a stone wall causing Blake to crash into him.

They both noticed that due to the creature's quick stop they had time to climb down. Without warning the boy dropped to the ground. Blake stood there staring at the ways down, chills ran her blood cold as it felt like the ground was yards away.

"Come on!" The boy yelled, bouncing on his feet.

She pushed off the wall, leaping onto the ground. Most of her fall was lighten by the catch of the boy; who quickly grabbed her hand and bolted around a corner of the Maze.

Blake was too concerned with the pounding of the creature behind her, she didn't think to focus on which turn they took. She hoped the boy did.

Both panting hard, running from death. Her heart felt like it was about to pump out of her chest. She wanted so desperately to take a break but knew she couldn't. Sweat dripped from Blake's forehead as she rounded turn after turn. She was about to tell the boy to leave her when her body was jolted to a stop.

Three Grievers were up ahead, rolling to the rhythm of their clicks and whirls.

*************************************
Well, Thomas and Blake better be running or there's gonna be some Glader stew tonight.

*************************************Well, Thomas and Blake better be running or there's gonna be some Glader stew tonight