|C.11|

༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜

༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜༜

Blake rushed to where people told her Minho was. He was laying on his cot sleeping, but she didn't care about all the warnings people gave her—telling her to not wake him up. She knew that Thomas could be in danger.

"Minho," she whispered loudly. "Minho, get up! Thomas could be in danger. Get up!"

Minho let out a tired groan. "What shank do now?"

"He ran in the Maze, idiot! Now get your butt up, now!"

Minho twisted so he was facing Blake. His eyes narrowed at her. She realized this jester alone would scare most, but it only made her madder. "Now!"

When Minho laid there with the same look-she grabbed his arm, pulling him off his cot. He fell with a thud, groaning in frustration. "You listen here, missy. I-"

"Come on! He could be in danger," Blake yelled.

Minho stood up and Blake grabbed his hand, pulling him with her out the door. She ran straight towards the Maze when she was hauled to a stop by Minho. "Come on, move!"

"Blake, we won't be able to find him. It's best we wait till he comes back. He'll be fine. I'll wait with-"

"No! We can't leave him in there."

Minho shook his head frustrated. "Did you not listen to the klunk I said before! You're not going. Look, Blake, I'm trying to protect you."

"I don't need you to protect me," she hissed.

Minho rolled his eyes, picking up Blake and moving away from the Maze. She tried to wiggle or punch her way out but neither worked. As they grew farther away from the Maze she started to scream; thinking that maybe if she screamed loud enough, he'll let her go.

"Can you shut up! You're gonna make my shucking eardrums explode!"

When her lungs couldn't take anymore, she stopped. She was so angry that no one, not a single person, would help Thomas. Sure, the lot of them hated him, but he was still a person.

Minho finally put Blake down by a tree. Angry tears brushed against the corner of her eyes. She was too worn to run or scream, so she sat there full of anger.

"He'll come," Minho tried to assure her.

"How do you know?"

"Shank got guts. More guts then I got, and if he can haul Alby up those vines then survive the night—he'll be just fine. He's pretty stupid for going in the Maze this late in the first place."

"He said that girl was talking to him in his nail head."

"What?"

"He went wack, plugging his ears and breaking a lamp. He kept saying that girl was talking to him in his mind. Apparently, her name is Teresa," Blake looked down at the ground.

Minho looked at Blake confused. "That's...I don't know strange."

She nodded. "That's why I'm worried. I don't know who she is but he did. Ha, I don't know if I'm supposed to be telling you all of this, but I don't really care anymore."

Minho patted her on the back. "It will get better. I don't know what your job will be but-"

"I want to be a Runner."

It was quiet for a long moment, Minho and Blake sat there staring out at the sunset that peeked above the Maze. Their backs against the tree. They soaked in that moment, that thought. "So what do you think? Me being a runner?"

Minho stared at her. "Having to deal with you for hours running might make me more exhausted, but I'll see what I can do."

She smiled. "Thanks. You might not be so bad."

"You thought I was bad before," Minho raised his eyebrows.

Blake laughed. "Eh. At least not as bad as some of the idiots here."

They shared a laugh as the sunset started to turn into twilight.

+++

The next morning, Blake found out that Thomas got back safely. She was too busy arguing with Newt that she didn't see Thomas come back. After hours of yelling and pleading, Newt agreed to let Blake train as a Runner with Thomas. Today, Thomas would have to be locked up in a cell for the day. She didn't like the idea but it was better than banishment.

Blake was puzzled over why she cared so much for Thomas's safety that she didn't even notice a boy sit across from her. He bit his apple, staring at Blake with an unreadable expression. His brown hair was messy and his eyes were a musky green. He looked to be around the age of fifth-teen.

"What do you want?"

"I can't sit here?"

"No, not really."

He rolled his eyes. "Name's Hawk. One of the Builders. Anyways, I just wanted to see what all the talk was about."

"About?"

"You of course. You're like some living legend. The girl who tamed a Griever, or the girl who woke up in the turning Maze. The girl-"

"My name is Blake."

"Yeah, sorry. I don't really know how to talk to a girl," his face flushed.

"Just talk to me normally. Ain't hard."

"Easy for you to say. The guys here are supposed to be intimidating you, but instead you're intimidating them, ha. If I woke up in the Maze I would be klunking my pants! Some people think you ain't human because of that.You sure your human?"

"Pretty positive."

It was silent for a moment. Blake felt awkward as the annoying kid stared at her like she was some kind of muse. "Oh, I forgot to tell you. Your boyfriend is in the slammer right now. Thought you might want to know."

"He ain't my boyfriend."

"Whatever you say."

Blake's eyes darted towards the door. "Uh, thank you, Hawk."

"You're welcome, Blake."