|C.41|

✼✼✼✼✼✼✼

✼✼✼✼✼✼✼

The air on the bus was stale and warm. Blake scurried across the long aisle, plopping herself down on a seat near the back, closing her eyes while releasing a heavy breath. More people entered, but everyone stilled as they heard the commotion outside.

People were yelling, but their voices were muffled by the drumming rain and the steel walls. After a minute or so Thomas and Teresa ran onto the bus. Blake stared with wide confused eyes as terror reflected off both of their faces.

They both sat in front of Blake while a woman sat across from Thomas and Teresa. The man who gave Blake a strange look climbed onto the bus in a flash, taking the seat at the wheel while cranking up the engine.

As they rolled forward, Blake let out a heavy exhale. Pitching herself to make sure this was real. They were safe. They had escaped. Maybe now she could let and heal.

A thump jolted Blake's body, as something rolled under the front wheels of the bus. Then, less than a second followed as she felt another thump near the back.

Blake looked around to see if anyone else notice, only stone glances returned hers. Even if they did—no one said anything.

The next hour was filled with drowsy thoughts and blurry sights as sleep crept its way in.

The driver drove at reckless speeds through silent city streets. As they soared through the black night, heavy drops of rain pounded against the window and roof, creating a soothing sound to a lullaby of sleep. Blake started to close her eyes, lean against the window for some sort of comfort when passing people banged across the speeding bus. The people reminder Blake of her mother. Clothes tattered, hair matted, eyes of insanity. They looked miserable like they wanted to escape their lives.

But the bus never slowed.

Blake kept her eyes on the window, looking at how the street's wet surface shimmered under the street lights. She felt her seat shift and peeled her eyes off the window. Minho had taken a seat next to her, his body slumped over while his stare pierced hers.

"Minho?" She asked, her voice sounding small and weak. Minho didn't answer, instead, he scooted closer, digging his hand into his right pocket. He pulled out something circular and metallic. Its surface reflected off the window light. Minho reached and grabbed her cold hand, placing the object in it. "When you were stung, you had this in your pocket. I forgot to give it to you," Minho smiled. "Or maybe I wanted to give you it as a 'hey we survived' kind of gift."

"What happened if I hadn't survived?"

Minho's face was concealed by the shadows, but his voice held something tender. "I don't know. I guess, I kind of hope you would survive. No fun giving something to a corpse."

Blake nodded then opened up her hand, revealing the hand watch that she came into the Maze with. Its flawless sliver material feels smooth in her palm. The fingers on the clock ticking each second away. "I had forgotten about it."