Chapter- 41

Eloise Nicole

There's a saying, 'It's hard to find someone who will love you unconditionally.'

It's true. The person sleeping on the chair while grasping my hand tightly was the proof. Before him, my life was empty and monotonous. Before him, every single person had always demanded something from me but Daniel, he barged into my life without warning and gave me everything I was deprived of. He never demanded anything in return just gave everything unconditionally.

And what I did? I gave him pain, the bandage wrapped around his hand and the moistened eyes I saw last night were the proof of it. Still, he remained true to his words and didn't leave me in the middle of the night. Being upset with me, he could have left me alone to show his anger towards me but he put aside the issues to be with me.

I guess this is what unconditional love is.

He was sleeping soundly with his head resting on the bed near my waist. His face profile exhibited exhaustion. I knew he must have been up to look after me. Lifting my free hand, I brushed the loose strands of hair away from his face and admired him lovingly.

"I'm sorry for making you worried. I'm sorry for giving you trouble." I whispered, gently stroking his hair.

A nurse chose the moment to enter the room. She was about to speak but I shushed her and boobed my head in Daniel's direction to make her aware of a sleeping person. She nodded her head in understanding as she sauntered towards the bed. After changing the bandage on my forehead she picked up a syringe.

"Is this to make me sleep again? If yes, then, please don't inject it. I've slept enough." I pleaded.

"Oh, no, ma'am. This is to reduce pain." I nodded my head and allowed her to inject the medicine into my hand.

"Could you please have someone arrange breakfast for us?" I asked thinking about Daniel as he must be hungry. She nodded her head and went out.

"Daniel, wake up." Patting his cheek lightly, I tried to wake him up. He stirred a little but didn't open his eyes then I again tried and this he woke up with a jolt.

"What happened? Are you okay? Do you need anything?" He asked in concern, sleep still not leaving his eyes.

"I'm fine. You should have breakfast."

"Breakfast? What time it is?" He asked while rubbing his eyes. He then checked the time on his wristwatch. "It's six-thirty in the morning?" He frowned and looked at me. "For how long have been up? Why didn't you wake me up before? Has the doctor came to check on you yet?"

His questions brought a small smile to my face. "I've been up for half an hour now. And, yes, a nurse came and dressed my wound. And I had no intention to disturb your sleep as you were sleeping like a baby."

He didn't say anything just kept staring at my face. I knew the look, he wanted to ask questions.

"Go, freshen up, and then have your breakfast," I ordered, adjusting myself in a sitting position in which he helped me.

"Are you aware that you are in no state to order me around?" He glared at me, squaring his arms across his chest.

I sighed. "I know and I also know that you're in no state to question me with an empty stomach. So, fill your stomach with food before asking me anything."

He knew I was right that's why he left for the bathroom without questioning. We had our breakfast in silence and then he sat on the chair, giving me a pointed look.

"Come here." I signaled him to come near me with my index finger. He raised an eyebrow asking me what for. I frowned when he didn't stand up from the chair.