The life before my life began..

*BANG BANG BANG*

Loud, fierce bangs on my bedroom door, wake me from my slumber. My eyes shoot open in panic, hearing the anger behind them.

"Oi!" Keith; My foster father growls.

*BANG BANG BANG*

He pounds on the door again. The anger behind each thud, fills my heart with fear. I jump out of bed, looking at the time on my alarm clock. A dark terror overwhelms me, as I see the time. 6:45.

They're going to kill me! I should've been doing my chores two hours ago!

I rush to the door. A large, rough hand, meets my face; Causing me to fall to the floor. I grip the side of my face as my eyes fill with tears, the sharp pain of his slap, stinging my skin.

"Get off the floor 'girl! What do you think you're playing at?! This is what I get for taking you in?! You deliberately disobey me!"  He bellows, as I quickly stand, trying to fight back the tears that want to fall from my eyes.

"I-I'm sorry." I whimper, devastated. My heart pounds as a sickness forms in my stomach. I just want to break down and cry, but I don't want to give him the satisfaction of seeing me like that. I'm so sick of being here, I hate it. They don't want me, they never have, so I don't understand why they took me in, in the first place, when all they've ever done, is make sure I've known how unwelcome I am.

"You're 'what?!"

"I-I'm sorry. 'Sir." I reply, realising I never gave him the 'respect,' that he believes he deserves.

"Look at the state of you! Get dressed and get downstairs 'now,' or you'll be 'wishing' you never woke up!" He demands, as he turns his enormous body, and stomps his way back downstairs.

"I already wish I didn't." I mumble, under my breath. I'm sick of feeling so defeated, from the moment I wake up, to the moment I finally drift off to sleep.

I glare back at my alarm clock, annoyed that it didn't wake me; Feeling betrayed, as though it was a person, who was supposed to wake me up.

I don't understand, why didn't it wake me up?--It always wakes me up.

I sullenly head over to my nightstand, and lift the alarm clock, inspecting it for any damage. Finding nothing suspicious, I place it back down on my nightstand, and set an alarm for the next minute..

I wait; A part of me hoping it doesn't go off, just so I know it wasn't 'my' fault, that I didn't wake up, and have something else to blame for it; But another part of me, prays that it's not broken, because the repercussions of it being broken, will be far worse.

The clock flicks from 6:51 to 6:52. But my alarm doesn't sound. The fear I felt before, quickly spreads around my entire body. My heart races in panic, with no idea how I supposed to tell them it's broken.

I slowly start to dress myself. My breathing labours harshly, as I try to contain my emotions; If they see me crying, it'll only make it worse for me. They're going to kill me as it is, when they find out it's broken. They only got me a new one, two years ago.

I look at the calendar, on my bedroom wall; Too see what day it is. Oh, that's right--It's my birthday..

My heart sinks into my stomach, as I stare hopelessly at the date. Is this how my life is always going to be? Is this the reason that I was born? To be miserable? To be someone's slave?