Chapter Five: What Dreams May Come

It took more convincing from Eldwyn, but I eventually gave into him. He was right. The south would assuredly fail if they didn't open their minds and ask for help from the relics. Instead, King Marbury wanted them dead. I didn't want to involve myself in the War for Askeran...I had to.

"I will join you, Eldwyn," I told him, looking back at the Stargon Kingdom. "But know that my heart isn't in it as it once was. That Prince Darren died when Prince Lucas did.

Eldwyn stepped up to me and placed his hand on my heart, commanding my attention like no one else could. "Your heart still beats, knight. It's still there."

I looked into those mesmerizing eyes and nearly fell in them. He looked up at me with the same faith in me as he always had, as if nothing had changed, but it had. I didn't deserve forgiveness for Prince Lucas, and I didn't deserve Eldwyn's love.

"Which relic tribe do we enlist first?" I asked. "The wind?"

Eldwyn's hand slipped from my chest. "There's a problem...they have banished me from the Village of the Wind. I confessed what I did to the pirates on the Berman Sea and the Kilgorians in the Baynard Mountains. I've...killed. And I am no longer part of their tribe."

"But...they were villains. And you were affected by the dark curse."

"They didn't care. A life is a life and I wasn't strong enough to fight it."

"Oh, Eldwyn..." I said, placing my hand on his shoulder. "They will see reason. I know how much they meant to you."

"All is well," Eldwyn smiled, refusing to let the situation get to him. "There's work to be done and three other tribes, but first we need to prepare. You need rest and we have to plan."

Eldwyn was right. I needed to recuperate and I needed to get back into fighting form. I hadn't picked up a sword since the last battle, and I was out of practice. Eldwyn, however, had become quite the strategist himself. the way that he had fearlessly defeated that dark wizard was a antastic sight. He had grown into a noble warrior all his own.

I said, "There's a small town in the Summerlands called Dreambrook. It's an overlooked land that should allow us to remain undetected if we are careful. But we'll need to find horses if we want to get there fast."

"That's the thing, knight," said Eldwyn, "I've been practicing my porting. I can port to almost any place I've been to as long as I have an emotional connection. I remember after Cordath Castle when you told me about the lands in the Summerlands and we stayed in the Gossamer Inn. I remember sleeping in a separate bed and wanting to be with you."

I bit my lip. "I remember that too..."

"We can go there. Here." Eldwyn grabbed my hand. "Let's dream together."

He closed his eyes and I did so after him. I remembered being in the inn and hating that he was so close and yet so far. I always wanted to be with him. Holding him in my arms and making him feel happy and protected, but it always felt like there was something in the way.

I opened my eyes and saw that a portal had opened next to us.

"Let's go," said Eldwyn, and we went into the opening.

We arrived outside of the Gossamer Inn. From there, it wouldn't be too far of a walk to Dreambrook.

"You did it," I said.

"We did it," Eldwyn said. He took out a hat from his bag and put it on, covering his ears. I hated that he had to hide that part of himself. I wanted him to be free to be who he was because every part of it was beautiful.

We walked westward on the Marble Road toward the quiet village in Dreambrook, catching up—though it was Eldwyn who did most of the talking. My life was a day that repeated over and over again. I didn't have any adventures to speak of, but Eldwyn had been roaming from place to place, helping people, saving relics, and gaining more control over his powers. I was proud of him and when I was in better spirits, I'd probably tell him that. I tried to keep an emotional distance from him, otherwise, I'd surely fall back in love with him. He made me feel so powerless, that it might make me start to hope again, and I couldn't have that.

"Have you heard from the Wind Riders?" I asked.

"I haven't...and I worry that's something has happened to them."

"I'm sure they're fine, they are skilled and Talyn is a true leader." I meant what I said and felt guilty for being relieved that he hadn't rekindled his relationship with Talyn. The relics defined relationships differently, their attachments changed with the wind and they understood that love came in many forms, and it seemed...or at least had hoped that I was more special to him. It shouldn't matter to me, but it does.

We came to the Brighton Village at dusk. The town was beginning to retire to their homes, calling their children in and shutting down their shops, and we still had to find a place to stay. We walked the stony avenues in search of a friendly face and found a couple walking to their red-bricked house.

"Excuse me," I said.

"Hello," said the smiling red-haired husband, standing on the porch with his modest brunette wife.

"We regret having to bother you, but would you mind lending us a room for a few  days? We don't have any coin on us, but we can pay for our stay with work."

"Oh, that won't be necessary," said the wife, "Muros says that charity is the greatest virtue. You can stay as long as you need."

We thanked them and followed them Inside where we were set up in their spare room and given fresh clothes. They saw the rags that I was wearing and probably thought that I was a street boy. It was easier than explaining to them the true story. At dinner, we learned that the family owned a bakery shop and were well-known throughout the town. I asked them if they had a swordsman in their hamlet, and they confirmed his name and location, an Calder Swenning, known as one of the best swordsmen in all te lands. I just had to figure out how I was going to purchase it.

In the bedroom that night, Eldwyn and I got ready for sleep.

"I'll sleep on the floor," I said, grabbing a pillow and dropping it on the floor.

"Won't you sleep on the bed with me?" asked Eldwyn.

"I can't Eldwyn. It's...too much for me right now." We had just talked about our separation and how hard it was, but I couldn't sleep with him. I knew that if we slept on the same bed I wouldn't be able to control myself and it would only complicate things. My feelings were still as strong for him as before, and I had to fight them off with everything I had.