Chapter Thirteen: Red Jewel

In the morning, Eldwyn, Princess Ilya, and I met in the small platform section outside of our doors on the third floor of the stead. I could hear the rock relics below us moving around in their various rooms, having already gotten their day started, but my mind was preoccupied to wonder about them and their morning rituals—it was on Eldwyn. I didn't speak with him...I could hardly look at him in fact. He knew how much I had guilted myself over Lucas' death. I was awash with deep emotion, but I had to keep it buried below, for if the rock relics sensed my inner tumult they might not join our side in the war.

We walked down to the first floor and left the establishment to meet with three rock relics in the center of town. The one we had met the previous day was in the middle and none of them smiled. They were as still as rocks themselves. I took Princess Ilya's lead on this and remained quiet as they looked us over. Finally, the rock relic in the middle gestured to Princess Ilya, as if it was magic that would allow her to speak.

 "My dear rock relics," she spoke, and even though it was in a whisper, it seemed much louder the silent dome. "We are in great need of your help. A war is coming upon us from the north and if you don't stand with us, we might not survive it. This is not what any of us want. the mountainmen want no part of this, but the fiery hatred of Cordath must be stopped or else it will burn all the land. We beg of you, we need your magic to protect the realm from their destruction. We will be forever in your debt if you would lend us your aid, you will always have the alliance of Prince Darren and myself. Of this, I promise you."

"I agree with Princess Ilya's words," said Eldwyn. "As a relic myself, violence isn't my nature, but I have learned along my travels that certain changes must be made to save lives. It is difficult to understand, but like the balance of darkness and light, we must find the balance within ourselves to do what must be done."

"Please," I said. "Help us. I know that I am but a prince, blind in so many ways, but I wish to make Askeran better. I want everyone to live in peace, but to do that, power must be obtained and we need yours now more than ever."

The three rock relics looked at each other meaningfully, as if they were having a conversation in their minds. They turned to us, and the one in the middle pointed to the bag that Princess Ilya was holding. "The jewel," said the rock relic.

Princess Ilya held the bag tight and she looked positively frightened. "But, this is from my mother...this was her only gift to me. Can I give you silver or gold? Please don't make me part with it."

"Only the jewel," he said.

Princess Ilya looked at them, as if she hoped that waiting would make them change their mind, but it was like waiting for stone to turn to water. She released her grip and opened it up.

"Princess..." I said, "You don't have to do this, we can find another way."

"No," she said, "this must be done."

Princess Ilya handed the rock relic the jewel. They looked at it and then walked away. We stood there, unsure of what to do next, but I assumed that their acceptance of it was an agreement.

"It's done." Princess Ilya walked to the entrance of the dome and Eldwyn and I looked at each other with worried frowns. We followed behind her and they let us out. We remained quiet down the trail and I wanted to discuss our plan but I was worried for my friend. 

"Princess Ilya," I said, lightly grabbing her shoulder and stopping her. "I'm sorry that you had to do that."

"It's of no matter. It was for Askeran."

"But you can't remove yourself from the emotion. You're allowed to be upset."

Princess Ilya looked up towards the morning Sun and stared directly at it, unfazed, appreciative. "It was all that I had of her. They wouldn't even allow her portrait to be hung in Cordath Castle. All I had of hers was that necklace she left for me. She had hidden it inside of a wall compartment in my room with an engraved note: 'To my darling daughter, you are more special than anyone knows.' Her words brought me comfort in my years of isolation, but now I must move on. This mission is more important than my emotions."

"Well, you have us now," said Eldwyn. "And we'll never leave you."

Princess Ilya smiled, then she had a quizzical expression. She looked inside her bag and pulled out several green gnose rocks. "How did these get in there?"

Eldwyn looked at them closely and said, "The rock relics are the most mysterious of all the relics. It's been said that the gnose rocks connects everyone that's connected to them. I felt them underneath the ground in the dome and in their structures."

"We'll hold them close," I said firmly, and Princess Ilya put them back in her bag. "We must travel south and get to the Argon River. We'll need a boat to cut our time as we sail to the Water Village and pray that the water relics are as understanding as the rock relics were."

We left the trail and went southward, walking along the Continental River until we came to a bridge and crossed over the rushing waters. I could still see the Mountainlands in the distance. We were getting further away and yet it still remained present in my mind.

"How are you?" asked Princess Ilya. Eldwyn had gone up ahead, walking with a long stick he had found.

"You shouldn't worry about me," I said. "You should tend to your own emotional wounds."

"I sense distance between you and Eldwyn. I felt it this morning when we were awaiting the rock relics."

I bristled at her perceptiveness. I still couldn't believe what Eldwyn had done and I didn't know how to feel about it. And because of that, I didn't want to tell Princess Ilya. We had a mission to complete and I could solve my personal problems on my own.

"Thank you for your concern, but it's just the general stress of this quest. I'm thinking of all that we still need to accomplish and the ways in which to see it done."

"I understand. Your burdens are your own. I just thought you should know that I've noticed how you are with him. When you first came to Cordath you were so heavy with burdens. You were a boy stuck in your ways and refusing to see the truth in your heart. Now, even in these treacherous days, you are lighter. I know that you love him and it makes you into the best version of yourself. Don't lose sight of that, Prince Darren."

We found a small river port partway through the day and Princess Ilya paid for it with her silver coins. She had a cache with her in Baynard, which helped us greatly since I was as poor as a beggar having just been sprung from court. Princess Ilya even sailed for us; she was a natural and full of surprises. Eldwyn controlled the winds as he had on the Emperor King, and we sailed southward. I kept an eye out for any dangers as we maneuvered around the dangerous rocks. The Argon River wasn't forgiving and it wasn't a straightaway. It turned this way and that, taking you out of the way, but I refused to stress about it. It seemed to be a perfect example of what our adventure was, and we still persevered through it all. I just wished it didn't hurt so much along the way.