Chapter Twenty-Four: Road to Resurrection

After Master Cabel told us about the Calavan Gauntlet, he took Princess Ilya, who he called "fire girl" outside to test her abilities. He had the innate ability to read people's energies and know what they were about. Upon our first meeting, he knew that I had a connection to animals and that Eldwyn was a wind relic. 

Master Cabel had known of a fire relic during his days at Fox Hall when he was an apprentice. She was allowed to wander away from the fire relic village and she journeyed south where she hid among civilization, blending in with the Fox Hall townspeople. She showed him how her powers worked and he taught her the process of metallurgy. Together, they worked on sword forging and processes that enhanced her abilities. I got the sense that he loved her, but he never stated it outright.

Eldwyn and I stayed inside and discussed the news about Prince Lucas. Eldwyn was right, as usual. I had felt even guiltier for having blamed him for knowing that the Stargon prince would die, when all along he had wished for his to return at the Jorel Fountain in Deter. I came to have a better understanding of thoughts and wishes. I understood why Eldwyn had faith in his Bronte; you might not see things instantly, but so many parts are happening behind the scenes that you're setting yourself up for future blessings. One must stay good-natured and humbled towards the gods, even in trying times.

In the morning, we left south for Fox Hall and took the royal carriage that Master Cabel had fixed when last we were here, and set off after thanking Master Cabel. He was a strange one indeed, but everything he did makes sense in a sort of roundabout way.

I commanded the horses to ride back to Sentria, taking a southern route to reach Fox Hall. It should take us nearly two days to get there, hopefully less if there aren't any obstacles in our way.

"Master Cabel was so helpful," said Princess Ilya, sitting across from Eldwyn and I in the carriage. "He made me think of fire-wielding much differently than I had before. Everything is made o f energy and everything can be burned. There are no limits to fire. By reminding myself of that reminds me of how much power I have within. Then I unleash it."

"That's fascinating," said Eldwyn. "I'll try thinking about my powers in the same way."

"That sounds possible," she said.

"How do you feel about your abilities now?" I asked.

"I feel more comfortable with them. Master Cabel says that I'm a natural at it, but I'm still very much an amateur."

I smiled at seeing Princess Ilya become more confident in her abilities. She had been powerless for so long that her coming into her power felt appropriate, like fate had shined down upon her.

We took the Auburn Road southward and passed by many humble homes surrounded by trees. They were all huddled together, like the homes needed each other for warmth. I lifted the red satin curtain and peeked out of the window. People would stop their work and chores to stare at the carriage. They knew that it was a royal one and they whispered about who they thought rode inside. I had no doubt that they'd hope it was emissaries from Loria come to aid the southern realms, but alas, Loria abandoned us in our greatest time of need. Once this war was over, Loria would need to answer for their cowardice.

"Tell me about this castle, knight," asked Eldwyn.

"It's Fox Hall," I said. "It's the second biggest castle in the Sentrian realm. It's a strong fortress and what they lack in numbers they make up for with ingenuity. My father's cousin Lord Galdry is known as the Lonely Lord. Lord Galdy and Lord Branagh were the rulers of the land, and they ruled efficiently and with an even hand. I always looked up to them in a way. Their love was something I wanted for myself. Most marriages I had seen came from political necessity, but their's was true. Lord Branagh came from the noble Douglas family in Loria and he was just and fair in his dealings, often tempering my blood relatives passionate nature. When he died over twenty years ago, Sentria was weakened by it, and Lord Galdry was never the same."