Chapter Thirty-Two: What the Future Holds

Eldwyn and I woke up, wrapped in each other's arms, clutching tightly as if we never wanted to let go, not even in our dreams. We had been like this before, but here in my Sentria, it felt even more sacred somehow. Our worlds were finally meeting in the best way possible, and though war was on the horizon, at this moment it was purely peaceful.

I broke free of him and walked to the window, glancing at the gnose rock on my desk and stood out on the balcony. I remembered when I had waited by this very spot and sang to a dove, calling for the return of my one true love, and now, my prayers had been answered.

"You always do that," said Eldwyn from behind me.

I turned around, he looked adorable in his light blue Sentrian night robes. "Do what?"

"Get up in the morning and brood."

"It's not brooding my dear, Eldwyn. I'm appreciating this moment and taking it all in."

"Well, return to bed. I miss your arms around me."

I smirked and walked back to bed, holding him tightly in my arms. The morning sun filtered into the room and made him shine a beautiful shade of bronze.

"I was thinking of what you said yesterday to your people. How you professed your love for me. I've seen you do many brave things during our time together, but I believe that that was you at your bravest."

"It didn't feel brave to me, it felt necessary. The truest words I've ever spoken. I love you, Eldwyn Gamor."

"I love you too, knight."

We longingly kissed each other for nearly an hour until we had to separate to have our breakfast. This morning we ate in the dining hall. I hoped that my father had reconciled with his refusal of Eldwyn, but if he hadn't it wouldn't matter. I meant what I said and Eldwyn was staying here in the kingdom.

King Artem remained quiet the whole time we ate, but I considered that a victory, and my mother asked about my abilities. In all of the relic business, it had gotten lost and I clarified it as best as I could. It was hard to describe unless one experienced it first hand, but she was surprisingly understanding. This connection I had with animals began when I was a child. She had noticed it herself and told me stories about Colress' throughout the centuries and their connection to animals. None, as far as she knew, had what I had except in legends, but it gave me comfort knowing that I came from a line of those who appreciated nature.

At midday, Eldwyn joined me as I met with Knight Richard, the captain of the Sentrian guard, and discussed the plans for war in the garden maze behind the castle.

"We have missed you, High Prince Darren," said Knight Richard. The slender yet strong black-haired knight maintained a concentrated look on his face, as if his eyes were already looking upon the field of battle. "Many believed that Stargon had locked you away in a tower without finishing the trial properly. We were prepared to strike them if Stargon didn't account for your whereabouts."

"I appreciate your loyalty, Knight Richard," I said. "But revenge must be put aside to address the problem at hand. Prince Lucas is no doubt smoothing over any issues in Stargon as I am doing here. I have complete faith in your choices as captain, but we will be facing dark wizards and your knights will have to be prepared for their magicks."

"What do you suggest?"

We went to the training grounds outside of the castle to speak with the knights. I told them all that I knew during my battles with dark wizards. It was best that they avoid them at all cost if they could and fight the standard northern foe. If they had to take on the dark wizards, they needed backup. Eldwyn was always at my side which gave me extra insurance during confrontations. One could distract, drawing fire, while the other attacked.

"On the battlefield," I said to the hundreds of knights, all lined up in rows, "the wind relics and the water relics will be on our side. Rely on them. Their power is our best defense against the dark magick of the dark wizards."

"He is right," said Eldwyn. "The dark wizard's powers are strong, but there will be more relics, and together, our power will stop them. They are peaceful, but they understand that this is for the fate of the world. They believe in the cause and they believe in High Prince Darren, so please, work with them. We are all together in this."

"Believe his words," I added. "I, your High Prince, have something special in me as well. That is how I've been able to control the animals. I believe that within us all is a touch of wonder for we've all come from the same place. It is time and misunderstanding that have separated civilization and the relics, but we both are the heart of Sentria."

"You heard your High Prince," said Knight Richard, stepping up. "If we hope to win this, we will have to rely on magic. Put away previous opinions. We must fight victorious for Sentria!"

Knight Richard raised his Sentrian broadsword and his men did the same, raising their swords and saying back, "For Sentria!" repeatedly.

The next few days we trained with them. Eldwyn engaged them in practiced combat, giving them a preview of what they'd be up against and how best to defend themselves against the dark wizards. They all seemed to be taking to it well and understood the decisions that were being made. 

I slept with Eldwyn every night in Sentria, and we did our best not to speak of the coming war. We'd spend all the day discussing plans and imagining scenarios that could play out and we needed time away to just be with each other. It gave me something to look forward to amidst the pressures of royal obligations. Life was less heavy with Eldwy around.

On the fourth day, I had taken a break from training the knights in the early afternoon and returned to my chamber to relax before I returned. Eldwyn had taken the day to meditate and sat on the floor in my room, legs crossed and eyes closed. He wanted to keep himself open to any messages from Bronte about what the future held.

"Hello, knight," said Eldwyn with his eyes still closed.

"I'm sorry to disturb you, Eldwyn."

Eldwyn opened his eyes. "You could never disturb me, knight."

I walked over and kissed him on his head. "Good." I sat down next to him. "Any messages from Bronte?"

"Only that we need to keep the faith, no matter what."

"I'll keep that in mind. How did the training go?"

"Very well, I think that they're prepared." I smiled. "But you are not!" Without provocation, I grabbed Eldwyn's arms and pushed him to the floor laughing.

He laughed too and he fought back as we wrestled on the floor, rolling around and trying to get the best of each other. Eldwyn was powerful, but my physical strength outmatched Eldwyn's and I got the best of him. I pinned him down, the weight of my body against him and stared into his hazel eyes. He slipped a hand away from my grasp and brushed the fallen tresses of my midnight black hair with his tender hand.

"I love you, Eldwyn." I couldn't say it enough.

"I feel the same...I have a question, knight."

"Ask it," I said, becoming more serious.

"What...does the future hold for us?"

"Oh." I wasn't suspecting that. My eyes widened. "The future?"

"Yes. Much has changed in a small amount of time, but your obligations...what will become of us?"

"Well, I believe—"

Just then I heard a soft humming. I sat up and saw that the gnose rock on my desk was glowing a bright green. Eldwyn and I looked at each other, for we both knew what it meant. Prince Lucas and Princess Ilya were reaching out to us.

The War was on.