Chapter Thirty: The Days Ahead

It took ten men to keep the winged horses from flying away. They had ropes wrapped around them and were neighing and kicking in fear. I could feel their pain and worry, and I wanted to inflict pain of my own on the Rainnian soldiers who stood before us. They very well deserved it.

I counted more than fifty men, more than Eldwyn and I could take by ourselves. Not only that, but I had the newly recovered Prince Lucas to protect. The Calavan Gauntlet was still in our carriage. We were in such a rush to get to the Ancient Temple that it hadn't crossed my mind to bring it. I was regretting that forgetfulness now.

"You've come this far and that is impressive," sneered the ugly Rainnian soldier. "But you're no match against half a hundred men."

"Don't be so sure," I said. "We just defeated a dragon from the Dragon Isles. A few cowardly men shouldn't prove too difficult." I was boasting, but it was giving me time to think. I learned from knights that one never shows their fear even when you are most fearful.

"Lies. You southerners think so highly of yourselves, but you're not better than us."

"I know you well," said Princess Ilya, "As daughter of King Solice and the niece of your king, I can confirm that High Prince Darren is indeed better than you."

"Princess Ilya," said the man, almost respectfully, "You, a betrayer of the north, have no right to offer judgment. You ruined your reputation and have become the most hated woman the north has ever known."

"That sits well with me. I know what I stand for, and who I stand against."

The Rainnian soldier frowned. "We are under orders to take you all in alive for torture, but I've never been one to take directions well. That's what makes me so effective. I think I'd rather just kill all of you on the spot and sort through the mess later."

I took out my sword and pushed Princess Ilya and Prince Lucas behind me. "Stay back." I told them, not willing to risk their lives. If Eldwyn could send out a massive wind blast, I could concentrate on defending him from their projectiles long enough for him to wipe everyone out. Several of them had bows and arrows that I needed to watch out for. 

The soldiers approached us, slowly with their spears out. They all wanted blood and I didn't want to give it to them. Eldwyn lifted his arms and the wind began to pick up—but I felt something else too. Heat. From behind me. I turned around and saw Princess Ilya all aglow with red. Her eyes were completely red too, as if some fire spirit had taken over her body.

We backed away from her and the Rainnian soldiers stopped. She jerked her head up to the sky and screamed as a firebird emerged from her body. It flew up into the sky, its fiery wings spread out wide, brightening the dim dawn, then flew down faster than anything I had ever seen. It cut across the Rainnian soldiers like flames on a wheatfield, burning their bodies and knocking them over. They screamed in bloody horror as they rolled around on the ground.

With most of their men out of the battle, Eldwyn and I struck. Eldwyn sent out blasts of winds that sent several standing soldiers far into the distance, and I slashed a few nearby with precise slices. They were either too distracted or scared by the firebird to hold their own and they too fell easily.

Once I cut them down, I turned back to Princess Ilya and Prince Lucas. "Let's go!" I yelled, and Eldwyn sent out winds to create a safe path for us through the fire.

We ran to our carriage and I cut down the ropes, freeing our winged horses, and we all got inside. I commanded them to fly and we took to the air, turning around and heading southwestward towards home.

"I can see that danger still follows you where ever you go," said Prince Lucas.

"I apologize," I said, looking out of the window, making sure we were a safe distance from the range of their arrows. "I didn't want your return to be so dramatic."

"Life is dramatic, High Prince. I'm happy to be back."

I smiled in relief and allowed myself to relax. All my friends were with me, and I believed that the power of the four of us together would be enough to save the realm. The Gray Woman had been adamant about the fact that even with the relics united we wouldn't be enough, but the four of us were fated to be together. We were like pieces to a puzzle; our power together couldn't be defeated.

"That was fascinating to watch!" exclaimed Eldwyn to Princess Ilya. "How did you do that?"

"I don't know, truthfully." She brushed her hair with her hand. "It felt...natural. Like it was always within me. I just had to let go."

"Your powers are growing," said Eldwyn knowingly. "I've never seen anyone grow so fast.

I smiled at them and turned to Prince Lucas. "You should rest, Prince Lucas."

"I appreciate that, but I've rested for long enough and there is work to be done. I must stay alert."

"Well, then eat," said Princess Ilya, already holding out a loaf of bread to him. "And gather your strength for the days to come."

He took it gratefully and started eating it. I had a hard time keeping my eyes off of him. We made a miracle happen and that was something to be proud of.

"There's something I must tell you, Prince Lucas," I said. "When I was last in Stargon, your father was sentencing me to prison."

"Why would he do such a thing?"

"He blames me for your death," I said. "Eldwyn had to come and rescue me, and pulled me away to start this quest."

"You have my word that your name will be cleared. My father will not get away with his wrongful deeds. My death wasn't your fault, it was his. For coddling me, for lying to me. Well, no more. I will not have it in my kingdom."

We discussed the war and our plans on the way to Stargon. Cordath and the northern realms were coming south and readying to enter through the Summerlands, the Winding Forest, and the Mountainlands. With their dark wizards, they felt empowered to strike on all fronts and we needed to have a sturdy plan in place to defeat them.

Our carriage landed outside of the Stargon Castle gates, and as I prepared to get out, Prince Lucas held his hand out to stop me.

"I must go in alone," he said.

"What do you mean? We are going with you."

"I have to go by myself. I must confront King Marbury about his failings and what should be done about the war. I have to stand up to him on my own. I will no longer be silenced."

I didn't like this idea...I had just gotten Prince Lucas back and I wanted to keep him in my line of sight. But this was his decision, his life and I needed to be accepting.

"Don't fret," said Princess Ilya. "I will go with Prince Lucas to offer council for Cordath. Stargon and the Summerlands are the first line of defense and I know the north better than anyone. I will ensure that Prince Lucas is safe."

"You and Eldwyn can go to Sentria and rally your soldiers," said Prince Lucas. "When it's time, I will send a dove to let you know of our movements."

"Here." I reached in my bag and gave him a gnose rock. "This will connect us. It's a much faster means of communication than a dove. I gave one to all of the relic tribes to coordinate our attacks. When you need us, don't hesitate to contact."

"I will." Prince Lucas smiled that golden smile. "Thank you, High Prince Darren."

I hugged Prince Lucas, and Eldwyn hugged him after. I wanted us all together, but I had to trust my team. They were strong in their own right.

Prince Lucas and Princess Ilya left the carriage and walked towards the gates. When they went inside, I commanded the winged horses to fly further south towards my kingdom.

Eldwyn held onto my arm and I rested my head atop of his, nuzzling him as we flew.

"Are you well, knight?" he asked.

"I am, Eldwyn. My friends are with us and all will be fine."