Chapter Eighteen: A Bargain for Forgiveness

Princess Ilya kept shaking her head, as if that would change what she had just heard. She started sentences then starting them over hallway through, unsure of exactly what to say. She was always so poignant with her words and feelings, but this news had changed her entire world—revealed it for what it truly was. Her destiny.

"I am at a loss for wards," Princess Ilya said, placing a hand on her chest just beneath her pronounced clavicle. "My mother was the Priestess of Fire."

"It is so," said Camren. "A red jewel lives inside you, just as it does all of us."

"The red jewel...my mother hid one in my room. I didn't find it until years after her death...but the rock relics asked for it in exchange for their allegiance in this war."

Camren laughed. "The rock relics are a funny clan. They know things ahead of time. They are of the ground and that connects them with all things, past present, and future. They must have known that you no longer needed it and that your truth would soon be revealed."

"I never knew my mother, but I've always felt connected to her. I don't think I could be any more proud."

"You should be. Evelyn was a wise and powerful woman and your destiny couldn't be any more clear. Just know that once this war is over, the title of Priestess of Fire is yours, as is our tradition."

We went to see Talyn that night. He was so happy that he cried. He didn't think he'd make it out alive and he regretted telling the Cordathian soldiers about us. All of us forgave him. The other Wind Riders were dead and he had lost all hope. I had found myself in a smilar way when Eldwyn stole me away, and I reminded him that that's when you most rely on the people around you.

I would have accepted him on our adventure to save Askeran, but he was in no condition for battles just yet. The fire relics promised to take good care of him, and he would join them when the time came to battle against the north.

We slept good that night. We were still recuperating after the three days we were captured by Cordath soldiers, and from the news that Princess Ilya's mother was the Priestess of Fire. It was a lot of information to hold, but she seemed lighter after the truth was revealed. She looked as if somewhere deep within she had always known it. I knew that she was special, and our time here in the fire relic village only confirmed that.

Eldwyn and I slept together that night. I could still feel the warmth of the waters from the hot springs and the warmth of the pyre as I held onto him. We were both shirtless and his skin was so smooth. He was pure perfection, and while I could have gone another round with him, I didn't want to tire him out. Instead, I kissed him on his forehead as he snuggled himself deeper into me. I don't think I stopped smiling that whole night.

In the morning we took our time getting ready. There was no sense in rushing and depleting ourselves before we were off again as there was always some form of danger to attempt to throw us off track. The fire relics gave us food and the remedies that they had available that we took with us and bags. They weren't necessarily known for their potions and cures, their specialty was combat, but they offered us what they had and we were appreciative of that.

Outside of the village, Eldwyn stopped us with his arms and I got on guard, believing that enemies might be close.

"There's no danger," Eldwyn said, turning to us. "An idea has come to me. I believe that I can create a portal to the Village of the Wind. They may have abandoned me, but my home is always in my heart. I can focus on it and bring us there quickly."

"Eldwyn, are you sure?" I asked him. He had grown a lot, but this Winding Forest was a tricky place and I didn't want to put us at risk.

"I am," he said. "I was nervous after leaving the water relic village, but after hearing Princess Ilya's true lineage I suppose I feel inspired."

"I believe in you, Eldwyn," said Princess Ilya smiling.

I nodded. "You know that I have the utmost faith in you."

Eldwyn closed his eyes and concentrated hard. He moved his hands in front of him in a swirling motion, and a portal emerged before us. No matter how many times I watched him work his magic, I was always awestruck by him.

"Let's go!" he said, and entered inside the portal. Princess Ilya and I followed in after him and we came out on the other side, surrounded by forest. It was pouring down rain here, and it was cold as if it was in the dead of winter. The plants nearby had leaves the size of us and the trees swayed dangerously in the forceful wind.

"Did it work?" I asked, looking up at the gray skies above.

"It did," said Eldwyn, "I can sense that we're close. This way!" Eldwyn seemed unaffected by the rain and the cold. Princess Ilya didn't appear bothered by it either, and I could control myself enough not to let my discomfort show.

We walked through the forest led by Eldwyn who had his eyes closed. I assumed he was sensing the path rather than trusting his eyes, and we arrived at the edge of the Village of the Wind. He stopped walking right on the edge as if there was an invisible wall blocking our passage.

"Now that I have been banned, I must have approval before returning."

Right when I was about to ask him how we'd find out, Hura the healer emerged from one of the houses and slowly made her way up to us. She arrived with a smile and I had hope that they would forgive Eldwyn and all would be well, if not for the war then for Eldwyn.

"Hello, all," she said, "you boys look well."

"Thank you," I said with a smile.

"Hura," said Eldwyn, "it's so nice seeing you again. It's been so long. Where is Murton?"

Hura's wrinkled face became solemn. "He is with Bronte now. He lived a long and beautiful life, 200 years and now I watch over the Village of the Wind."

"oh..." Eldwyn said, like the concept was too heavy for him to hold. "I never thanked him for all that he taught me."

"He knew, my child. He knew. And I'm afraid that the news gets worse. I know why you've come and I'm forced to deny your request. I watch over our village but I don't create the rules, I only enforce them and we do not condone killing."

"It wasn't his fault," I barged into the conversation like a bettering ram. "Eldwyn was poisoned by a curse, otherwise he wouldn't have done it."

"I know that," she said regretfully. "But curse or not, we cannot change the truth."

"But the winds change all the time," pleaded Eldwyn. The fire relics understand that. They know that things have to change and grow again. Let me return so that I can convince everyone that this war is worthy. We must all be united and the Village of the Wind is the last group we need if we wish to win this war."

"If all that is true," said Hura, "then this may be our time to go."

Eldwyn turned around, hiding his emotions.

"There must be something. Please, what can we do to absolve him of this."

"There's nothing."

"What if we go to the Great Tree," said Princess Ilya. "Inside the heart is the Amulet of Truth. I've heard of the legend, but like most legends I can only assume that it's true. It only presents itself to the worthy. If Eldwyn offers that to you as a gift, will that be enough to convince you that he is forgiven? Would Bronte allow someone unworthy to possess such a holy artifact?"

Hura looked at her and smiled. "I believe that would be enough. Find the Amulet of Truth, bring it back here, and I'm sure everyone would know that it was a sign from Bronte. But be careful young ones, there are dangers inside the Great Tree, and many who've journeyed within don't return."