Chapter Thirty-One: Law of the Land

Eldwyn grew more nervous the closer we got to my kingdom of Sentria. This nervousness wasn't for himself, but for me. I knew that he was concerned about what my citizens would say with him, a relic at my side, but that ceased to matter. Like Lucas had learned, I would no longer be imprisoned by the chains of conformity. They would respect Eldwyn—they would respect all relics. And I would put that in writing that would be the new law of the land.

"All will be well, Eldwyn," I said to him as he clung to my arm. "They will know reason once I impress it upon them."

"I don't want you to suffer any consequences, knight," he said softly. "The war is our most important goal and I shouldn't distract from that."

"Eldwyn, you are as important in all of this as I am. You've aided this realm and time again and I won't stand by and let this disrespect go on any further."

Eldwyn said nothing. He just lifted himself up and kissed me on the cheek.

We looked outside of the window as we crossed the boundary between Stargon and Sentria. I felt comfort this time seeing my familiar surroundings: the roads, the inns, the landforms, and the people. I appreciated them now as one would an old friend thought to be forgotten, but only soundly sleeping in the cornered recesses of the mind.

I rubbed Eldwyns back as the light gray Sentrian castle came into view and I commanded the winged horses to descend. Their wings stopped flapping and they spread out to glide smoothly

"We are here," I said cheerfully, hoping it would lighten his mood.

People stared up at us in awe and the winged horses landed in front of the castle, continuing to run seamlessly on the cobblestone streets.

"Is that Prince Darren?" they asked. "Are those winged horses?" said others, and I smiled at their questions.

We stopped in front of the castle and everyone nearby gathered around. I got out of the carriage first and they gasped at my reveal. There was no telling how many rumors came about after my escape from the Stargonian court, but now they knew I was alive and well. 

I held my hand out to Eldwyn, he was pressed up against the corner of the carriage, and I sympathized with him. This wasn't Fox Hall, or some cold and forgotten eastern keep, this was the highest kingdom of all the realm, but he needed to remember that I was the High Prince. I was maker of the rules.

"Come, Eldwyn," I said to him, motioning with my hand for him to grab it. He put his hand in mine and I brought him out. The crowd gasped even louder. "Follow me." I climbed on top of the carriage and pulled him up. I stood tall, looking down at the crowd to address everyone. I wanted to be seen. "My kingdom Sentria, your High Prince has returned. As you can see, much has happened. Fear not, I am here to enlighten you on the matters at hand. Cordath and he north are on their way with their legion of dark wizards, and I with my band of friends, have sought to bring the relic tribes together to defend us. We have succeeded in this effort and now we must prepare for war."

People started murmuring amongst themselves and I raised my hand to regain their attention.

"We must change our ways of thinking. No longer will relics be seen as inferior. They are our equals and they are our best chance at defending the south. The wind relic you see next to me is Eldwyn Gamor of the Misty Moors and he has been with me the entire time. We've destroyed the Oblivion Witch, we've sailed the dangerous seas, he's helped me unite the relics, and he helped us bring Prince Lucas back to life. He and all other relics will have your respect. This is not up for debate."

Just then, my father and mother came out of the castle. I had never seen them run so fast before—I'm not sure I had ever seen them run.

"Darren!" cried Queen Vala.