16 - sleep whenever you can, wherever you can

——

——

Hotch woke up to his son shaking him.

"Dad." He heard Jack say. He opened his eyes and saw his son leaning over him.

"Yeah bud?" He said as he sat up.

"You were talking in your sleep again." Jack said as he sat down next to his dad.

Aaron checked the time, it was three in the morning. "What was I saying?"

"Uhhh. You kept on whispering 'I promise'. Over and over again." He said as he picked his arms up.

Aaron smiled and pulled his son towards him. "I'm sorry bud. You gotta go to sleep now though." Jack went back underneath the blankets and Aaron tucked him in.

He sighed. It had been a month since Hayley died and he'd been having the same recurring dream. Hayley, making him promise. She'd be standing there. Asking him. Begging him. And then suddenly she was gone, and in her place lay her body, exactly the way he had found it.

He rubbed his eyes and turned to check on Jack, who was fast asleep. And soon, he was too.

Back at the BAU, the team was barely functioning. They had just gotten back from a two week case. Between all of them, they had slept for almost four hours in total during those two weeks.

"Man I'm beat." Derek said as he came out of his office and stretched.

Olivia yawned. "Why don't you go home and do your paperwork?"

"Why don't you?" He smirked and leaned against the door frame.

She bit tapped her pen against her lips as she thought. "You have a point."

It was at that moment that a previously sleeping Spencer shot up from his very comfortable spot on his desk. "Statistically, you're less likely to do paperwork or any form of work for that matter, in a setting such as your home, where you feel more comfortable and relax easily. In fact, just the thought of office work puts you in such a state of procrastination that you may never complete it until you're in a setting such as the office where-"

"Woah there tiger." Morgan said as he walked towards Spencer's desk. "Why don't you go home? It's four am."

Spencer groaned. "Olivia's my ride." He slumped on his desk and fiddled with a fallen down pen.

Derek laughed and looked questioningly at Olivia. "We discovered that we live pretty close to each other. So we kinda just get a ride with whoever feels like driving." She explained.

He nodded and wondered how he didn't notice that. Then went to sit on her desk. "Why don't you take the kid home. Maybe finish this up tomorrow?"