21 - olive, ben and toby

——

——

"So what's it like?" He asked her as they took a seat at someone's desk.

"It's interesting." She told him. "It's satisfying, catching the bad guys. But all the dead bodies we see is enough to ensure that you'll never sleep again."

He looked grim, "at least you know there was nothing you could do. And you get revenge for them by catching their killer. When you loose a patient, it's worse because you know that there was probably something you could've done differently."

"So being a hot shot surgeon isn't all it's made out to be."

He laughed. "Sometimes I wish I did something simpler, like Toby."

"Law was hardly simple." She smiled sadly. "But he loved it."

"You remember our tree house on fifth?" He asked. The three of them used to meet there almost everyday after school. They would do homework, play games, watch movies. When they all left to study, they abandoned it, but every year they'd meet at that tree house and reminisce.

She nodded.

"I bought the property it's on and built it up again. For one day when we have kids, we'll take them there and tell them stories about this tree house."

"That's-" she said and her eyes shone with tears. "Thank you." She whispered.

He hugged her, "I know we're supposed to move on sooner or later. But he was our best friend and I just don't see how we can."

She nodded and stood up. "I have to go check in with the team. You're welcome to stay but it might take a while, especially if they've found him."

"I'll be here. You go." He replied.

"Catch me up." She said as she walked inside.

"Well Garcia discovered that four of the victims were at the same casino the night before their deaths and the rest were at an illegal poker game that's held almost every night." Reid started.

Morgan pulled up a picture and pointed to it. "A man named Gustav Malinov was present at the casinos the victims were at and he's one of the organizers of the poker ring."

"Get suited up. We've got an address." Hotch told her as they walked out of the conference room. She nodded and was about to walk away when he lightly grabbed her arm. She stopped and caught his eye. "Never mind." He whispered and let her go. He watched as she walked to Benjamin who stood up when he saw her.