⇢ CHAPTER 25

season 6 episode 2

Over the past twenty days, Bailey and Holly were practically numb to everything in the hospital

Over the past twenty days, Bailey and Holly were practically numb to everything in the hospital. They worked on patients, performed surgeries, everything. But they weren't themselves. They wouldn't chat with other doctors, they wouldn't crack jokes or lecture people.

They'd simply be there and stare at a wall.

Holly was thankful for Lexie, however. Whenever she'd get home, she'd want to curl up in a blanket, wear one of George's sweaters and eat cookies but Lexie helped her study for their intern exam-- with a few cookies here and there and in George's sweater.

It would brighten her moods enough that she'd feel able to go to work the next day with her sunny personality-- until she would see Amanda sitting in the hospital bench in front of the hospital-- that pretty much dampened her mood and she'd go back to the numb state.

"Hey." Derek greeted as he walked inside the elevator that Holly was standing in alone, pressing the button to go down to the pit, "...We have a trauma coming in."

Holly nodded stiffly, "I know."

"Good." Derek hesitantly continued, "...It's a car crash."

"I know."

"Oh." Derek nodded slowly, "I wasn't sure if you knew..." He turned to her, "I could get another intern if you--"

"I'm fine." Holly assured, looking forward, "I'm not going anywhere."

Derek nodded again, "Okay... so--" The elevator doors opened and Holly immediately rushed forward to the trauma room she was paged at. Derek sighed, rushing right behind her as he entered, "What do we got?"

"Man versus car, he's got multiple crush injuries and we're looking at a possible amputation of his arm--" Callie presented before her eyes looked up from the wound, "...Holly, I didn't know--"

"I'm fine." Holly nodded, checking the pupils of their patient and looking at Derek, "Pupil's blown."

Derek checked before nodding at the nurse's, "Pupil's blown. Stop C.P.R." He looked at a nurse, "Give me a cranial drill, please." Derek shaved the man's head and began to made a small incision as he hesitantly looked over at Holly, "Kepner... you okay to do burr holes?"

Holly nodded, "I'm good."

"Shepherd--" Hunt started.

"I said, I'm good." Holly nodded, grabbing the cranial drill, "I've done this before, remember?"

"Okay." Derek nodded, looking at another nurse, "Stabilize the neck, please." The nurse did exactly that and Holly inhaled deeply, "Go in slowly. When you feel it grab, stop."

Holly nodded, "I've got it."

Everything in surgery was going smoothly, Holly had successfully done burr holes in the trauma room and the man woke up. Began to write down, with his good arm, his name and family before he needed to go surgery.