Chapter Eight

The door of the carriage opened and the King went out first before the door next to me was opened. A hand was offered to aid my coming out and I accepted gratefully but I immediately let go of it when I realized whose hands I held.

Immediately, I saw Dong Yi already waiting up behind me, bowing to the King. He turned to look at her with the softest expression, that I know was non-existent for Kings to their servant.

“What is your name?” his voice sounded with authority as he turned to whom he was speaking to.

“My name is Choi Dong Yi, your Majesty,” she answered with her head bowed yet sounded so happy.

“Who is your father?” he asked as his hands went behind his back.

“Choi Woo Ryun. He is a fisherman, your Majesty,” she humbly answered.

“And your mother?” he requested,

“Choi Ga Ui, she is a fish trader at the local market, your Majesty,” she replied while shivering like she caught a cold.

“Well, Choi Dong Yi, get the royal guest ready for the banquet tonight,” he ordered her.

She knew that her Mistress had found a place in the eyes of His Majesty, but her Mistress had no idea just how much his Majesty was taken by her.

His Majesty of this great nation personally gave her an order. She couldn’t describe how happy she was, because the King had never done this before to any maidservant, not even Her Royal Highness’ or the head maid.

“Yes, your Majesty,” she answered with pride and enthusiasm as she heard King leave to the opposite direction of the courtroom.

Vivian

As we got inside the hut, I noticed Dong Yi smiling more than usual, and—the typical me—I became curious.

“Emm... Dong Yi,” I called.

“Yes, Your Grace” she answered as she smiled like a ‘toothpaste’ model

“Why are you so happy?” I asked facing her with my hand akimbo.

  “Nothing to trouble you with, Your Grace...” she answered absent-mindedly, which made my curiosity increase by 50%,

“Really...? Then why are you so happy? ... ng..?” This time I asked standing closer to Dong Yi.

When she tried to hesitate, I offered her to sit opposite me, persuading her. She slowly accepted.

“You can tell me anything, I’ll listen,” I smiled at her as I got ready to listen.

“Today, His Majesty spoke to me, my lady. No one in my whole family for generations has ever come that close or even spoken to His Majesty but I did. Not just that, he also asked for my name and my house, I'm so happy and honored, my lady." that exact feeling I could understand,

“Well, congratulations. But, how did you get to serve me?” I asked as she properly sat.

“My Mistress was the Prime Minister’s wife; she gave me up to the Head Maid a long time ago. I have been serving in the palace for her, as soon as My Lady came, the Head Maid appointed me to you, your Grace,” she said fondling her trembling fingers.

“What was your old Mistress like?” I held her trembling little fingers and massaged them.

“She is of royal lineage, the previous King was her Brother. She has everything but an open mind like Your Grace...” She raised her eyes from her massaged fingers to my face.

“Like me?” I looked surprised at her for the words she just uttered.

“Yes my Lady, she isn't as kind as you, she keeps the line of ‘master and servants’ uncrossed and doesn't even see us servants more than just ‘objects’  that can be bought or sold at will. If we do something wrong no matter how minor it is, she’d give us the punishment of thieves. ” her hands trembled under mine.