Chapter Ten

After we fed the children, we took them to Dong Yi’s family and truly, they accepted the kind gesture.

Her father revealed that it was often an empty house but with the children’s presence, it was a 'blessing from the heavens’.

Dong Yi made her family understand that the welfare of the children was in their hands and that whatever they needed would be made available to them and they agreed and thanked me for the kind act saying you know, I was a gift from the heavens and everything I have heard before.

We stayed with them for the day before leaving in the evening, we waved goodbye to the kids in promised to visit them again. I guess this was how Mary Slessor felt when she stopped the sacrificing of  twins in the Calabar tribe, great work Ma’am.

On our way back, I felt wonderfully great about my latest ordeal and I compared my views of this era to the twentieth first century, there was little or no difference, people still suffered no matter the corner of the world or time.

As we were going through the market on our way home, I almost jumped out of my skin when I saw a hanged corpse. Mother reflexes chipped in and immediately I placed my hand over Min Soo’s eyes, I was hella sure that the body’s host left days ago and on the body was a label.

“Thief,” I read, Dong Yi saw it too and told me,

“My Lady, there was a rumor that an unknown spy infiltrated the palace and gave the layout of the palace to the enemies. The Queen Dowager and Her Highness were almost assassinated a month before which led to the previous war led by General Yi.

Although I only heard that an investigation had been made and I thought the police Bureau has not apprehended the spy, until now. ” she finished with her eyes on the dangling corpse.

“But, how did they find him? How sure are they, that they caught the right one?” I sighed looking away as I could no longer the bear the sight of it and I walked on taking the little kid who wanted to see what I didn't want him to see, along.

My hand still over his eyes with Young Pil and Dong Yi tailing behind, till I was sure that we had long passed that area I removed my hand from his eyes and held him as we continued our tour.

We passed by a trader selling little things Min Soo called 'a gift shop'. He made me patronize the trader and I ended up buying gifts for my guard, my handmaid, and my little companion plus an extra I got for buying seven gifts for Min Soo as a result of the puppy eyes moves he played on me, this thing has to be illegal, cause it is.

It's pocket wrecking! Min Soo agreed to be hungry so we decided to make a quick stop at the dream restaurant that Min Soo always wanted to go, what could I say? I guess I’d become a genie at this point.

A private room, a medium table filled with food either new or too exquisite dish for Min Soo and Dong Yi paid for whatever Young Pil was showing these people. I need to get mine. After eating our fill, home was the next thing.

Almost getting to my quarters, I spotted the Queen with same women near the garden around a table still doing teatime. I turned to walk away with Min Soo as one of the women shouted pacing our way with her hanbok in her hands. 

“You, what are you doing here?” she pointed at him with surprise and clear disgust on her face. I turned to where the voice came from and looked at the questionnaire. I could feel sharp pains in my hand, only to see Min Soo hiding behind me while squeezing the DNA out of my hand in fear then I looked back at the woman.

“Aren’t you supposed to be dead?” she came closer to us with the women behind her except the Queen. As she tried to step forward to me Young Pil beat her to it and I looked at Dong Yi who told me,