Chapter Fourteen

Seon Jo

"Her Royal Highness the Queen!” Eunuch Park stationed outside announced,

"Let her in" I permitted ungallantly and watched as she entered looking heavy with the royal heir before I returned to my work because seeing her now was not helping,

"Your Majesty.” she slightly bowed.

"You shouldn't be here, you should be resting in your condition.” impatience dragged by bugs was crawling on my pride.

"How can I rest when my husband isn't? Your Majesty, I noticed that the weight of the recent happenings is weighing you down and you barely eat like you used to, so I went to the kitchen and prepared your favorite myself, well not all by myself but with our daughter's help" she said nodding to the maid behind her.

I stopped my work and looked at the dishes before me with a dead appetite though they all looked appetizing. I was about to reject them but when my daughter was let into the room, my daughter Bora smiled as she saw me and she ran to me,

"Father.” She said with pure love to me with joy as I carried her in my arms.

"I heard you made something for me." a smile crept into my face as I saw her dimples that verified that she took after me.

"Yes, Mother said you were working hard for our nation, so I cooked for you a surprise meal.” She beamed pulling me by the hand to the table set before us, sat me down, and served me herself.
I looked at my daughter, the only true happiness I had, gratefully I ate as my mind wandered off thinking about Hye Jin, if she had been fed or had eaten at all.

I did not know that my face had begun to reflect my thoughts until my Queen slid slices of fruit my way to get my attention.

I looked up to see her nod towards our daughter who wore a sulking expression as a result of my worried face.  Immediately guilt embraced me and I composed myself and began to eat from every plate on the table happily while watching her face become bright, and soon enough she smiled.

After the dinner, she stayed and played with me which was a good distraction from my thoughts and worn-out mind. As it got late, she was led out by a maiden, but not without promising to cook for me the following day.

General Yi

I picked up the pace after the person I had been tailing did.

I have been following her since she left the palace and was sure she has not noticed, well I'm a general for a very good reason.

I watched her stop at a butcher's shop as she greeted the man before bringing out a box covered with purple linen and handing it over to the man who thanked her after putting it away.

That shade of purple is used only by the Royal Family, her Highness Queen InMok in particular, so whatever is given to that man was sent by the Queen herself. What business would the Queen have with this man?

Having done that, she received some pieces of meat from him which she used to place inside her hamper.

As she was leaving, the butcher continued his business of the day and I trailed behind as she walked into the market from the butcher to a fishmonger, a peddler, and a fruit seller.

Nothing suspicious, yet I didn't stop even when I began to get heated by the scorching sun.
My hope began to drain until she entered an apothecary and I watched hopefully as she stopped at the door to look behind her twice before smiling as she entered.

Therefore, as not to gather any suspicion, I took some minutes before entering this apothecary.
When I entered, I saw a young boy by the counter and approached him,