CHAPTER 11

Xavier had just submitted the designs for the wedding robes to the tailor department. They only have twelve days to finish making the garments. He had managed to find the best silk brocade for the robes and what was left was for his bride's headdress. He didn't want a heavy headdress since she didn't like it but he wanted something that would make her look elegant and beautiful on that day.

He received news that the gifs his parents had sent had arrived. He was so happy that his parents approved even though he had a feeling it took them a long time to accept it. They had sent three carriages full of gifts and he wondered exactly what they had sent.

He went to welcome the carriages with some of the disciples and soldiers from the palace. According to the mountain's rules, no outsiders were allowed inside so he sent away the messengers and offered them a good compensation package. His men took over the carriages and they returned to the mountain. He had the men carry the wrapped gifts to the hall his bride was currently in. he had not seen her the whole day since he had been busy.

Lately she was also busy looking into matters of the palace. He could sense that something was off and soon it will be all revealed.

He entered the hall and found her sleeping. He couldn't help but grin as he walked towards her. She opened her eyes but didn't change her sleeping position. He took the steps and sat right besides her. He brushed her hair and looked at her.

'I'm sorry I woke you up,' he said and she smiled at him.

'No, you didn't. It's good that you came. What's all this?' she asked noticing the gifts being brought in the hall.

'These are marriage gifts my parents sent. I wanted to look over them with you, if you don't mind.'

'I have nothing to do at the moment. I'm curious what is in there,' she said waking up.

'Same as me here,' he said and stood up. He stretched his hand and she took it. He helped her down the steps and towards the gifts.

'Open them up,' he instructed the guards, the guards opened them all and it was time for the maids to show them what was in each box.

Valery smiled as she looked at the gifts that ungrateful woman had sent for her. Did she think that she was so foolish and stupid? There were a lot of jewelry, good quality too she really admired them; a couple of ceramic pots and vases, worth a lot of silver. Various silk finest silk brocades which she always use on her clothes. The Imperial Noble Consort really put a lot of effort but what she was looking for she had not seen it yet. She finally arrived at a box which had the finest cream and pearl powder. Why would she send her pearl powder? Her skin was always fine and she never had any need for it and yet that woman sent a lot of bottles for her to use. She took one bottle and opened it. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She could smell it, that woman put arsenic in her powder. Why was she so bent on killing her? She opened her eyes and coughed. The second she coughed she dropped the bottle of the powder.

Xavier pulled her away from the shattered pieces which were now on the floor.

'Are you okay?' he asked his voice full of worry.

'I'm okay, I thinking I'm catching a cold,' she lied not wanting to tell the truth.

'Bring her a cloak,' he called out and the maids rushed.

'This is all lovely,' she said looking at three more bottles of the powder.

Valery opened the remaining bottles and found out that two bottles had been poisoned while the other two were normal.

She scratched the poisonous bottle and left them there. After going through everything she turned and looked at Xavier.

'You should write back to your parents and tell them that I'm very grateful for the gifts. I will use them all wisely,' she said.