CHAPTER 14

He was worried as he paced up and down in Valery's hall. Nora returned with a child named Qara. Apparently she had gone to adopt a child who was going to become the palace mistress in the future. But where had she gone to? She hadn't returned and that was worrying him. The mountain had been closed off and people were being arrested and he still had no idea what was happening. As he was walking there Valery suddenly showed up in the room and she looked very hurt. She was bleeding and a dagger was stuck in her back. He rushed to her and held her as she was about to fall down.

She smiled at him before she fainted.

He laid her back on the bed and called for the physician. He came to examine her and removed the dagger from her back and applied some medicine and put a bandage on her.

'She will be fine, she just needs rest,' the physician said.

'Please, don't let this out,' he said.

'I will keep my mouth shut,' the physician said.

He stayed by her side all the time until Nora walked in. she looked very surprised and angry at the same time.

'What happened to her?'

'I don't know. She just appeared from nowhere looking like this,' he told her.

'I knew that something was wrong but I didn't stop her. I'm very sorry,' she said crying.

'It's okay; she probably didn't want to get you into trouble. Now be strong for her and look after Qara. I will take care of her, don't worry,' he assured Nora.

'I hope so or I won't be able to forgive myself.'

'How about you tell me what's going on first? Maybe we can help each other,' Xavier asked.

'There is a spy or spies in the palace. So the mistress asked me to do something and arrest anyone who defies that order,' Nora told him.

'Now I get it. This means that something happened while you were out there. She might have been attacked by assassins. What happened to the secret guards shadowing her?'

'They all came back with me. We couldn't defy her order,' she said.

'Okay, I will take care of this now. Just go and rest,' he told Nora.

Nora left the room and he stayed by her side the whole night.

Valery woke up in the morning and he was happy to see her. When he tried to change the bandage the wound was gone. He was surprised by what he saw but she just smiled at him.

'I told you that no one will kill me,' she said as she sat up.

'What happened to you?' he asked taking her hands in his.

'I nearly died. Your parents sent assassins to kill me during the journey,' Valery told him without hiding anything.

'I'm sorry, I didn't know. Is that how you got hurt? Why would they do something like that? We are about to get married,' he asked.

'No, I killed all the assassins and this wound was caused by your father. He tried to kill me himself when I asked him about it.'

He couldn't believe that something like that happened while he was busy looking at wedding robes. He was very ashamed of himself and that he put her life in danger.

'I don't know what to say. What happened to him?'

'I tried to keep my promise but I'm afraid I can't do this anymore. He tried to hurt me numerous times and I let him go but this time he really hurt me so I hurt I'm in return,' she said and he knew that she did something.