A Storm is Coming

I loved writing this chapter, enjoy.

"Oh thank God you're here." Lexie rushes to me as I come into the apartment. "I got all of the food set up and Callie and Mark found the decorations. I..." She looks at me. "Are you okay?" I shake my head.

"Is Mark here?" I ask and she points to my room. I open the door and find Mark trying to avoid everyone.

"Hey, no one comes in..." He stops when he notices it's me. "Hey beautiful I was just keeping others out."

"Mark." He can tell by my voice something is wrong.

"What happened?"

"My patient died." I inform him.

"Awe I'm sorry." He pulls me into his lap as he holds me. "How is Arizona doing with it?"

"I haven't seen her after she walked away from The Chief and Jennings saying she wouldn't inform the parents."

"This surprise party may not be the best idea then." Mark states.

"Will you still love me if I'm not a surgeon?"

"What?" He makes me look at him now.

"I told The Chief and Jennings off for placing the value of $25 million over the well being of a child. They pressured Arizona to do whatever the parents asked of her despite her medical knowledge that surgery was a bad idea. She knows and they didn't care they still made her go through it anyway just so they could get a big check."

"How badly did you tell them off? Because I..."

"I told Jennings that he's a nasty man." Mark groans as he puts his face in his hands.

"Ah, Gen!"

"I know. Thinking about it now it was so unprofessional. I even threatened legal actions if he tried to fire me for this."

"Gen!"

"I know I was over the line Mark but crossing that line felt so damn good." I exclaim to him.

"I doubt they will fire you because The Chief understands patient life matters more but...Gen that...I'm jealous I wasn't there to witness it myself."

"What?" I ask surprised.

"Jennings is a boardroom hack who knows nothing but pushing people around. I'm glad you told him off and if he tries to fire you I'll go after him myself."

"You would do that for me?" I ask surprised and Mark nods his head.

"No one comes after my girl without me charging right back at them." Mark kisses my cheek. "Come on we have this giant party we have to be a part of." I groan in annoyance.

"We could just escape and go to your place." I whisper.

"Callie will have both our heads if we did that."

"Yeah, she would. And this is for Arizona so she might kill us."

"Come on we'll stay for a little bit and then make it over to my place for some after-party fun." I kiss Mark on the cheek as we head to the living room waiting with everyone else for Arizona's arrival.

__________________________________
The door opens and everyone yells surprise as we blow into the confetti and noisemakers. Arizona instead of smiling broke down in tears as ran out of the apartment. Callie chased after her. "Told you." Mark takes a swig of his beer.

"God I hate surprise parties." I add as I drink the rest of my beer.

"I thought you liked them?" Mark asks as he makes room for me on his lap.