Chapter Three

I got up on shaky fawn legs and staggered foreword to the rows of empty seats. The students around me clapped politely, but I could see the deadly glares from all of Josh's past hook-ups including Queen Bitch Crystal. Taking a deep breath, I sat down next to Josh and peered over at him. His chissled features and slight stubble were quite attractive, but he kept his eyes foreword, not daring to meet my gaze. I swallowed hard. For a moment, I considered saying hello, but instead I was too shy and chose to open up my copy of Emma and pretend to read. We stayed like this for the rest of the assembly as my heart pounded.

When the bell finally sounded, I was relieved that we would have no classes for the day. Everyone stood up speaking to their new partners, and I looked over at mine expectantly.

"I can't believe I got you," Josh finally said. My eyes widened and my heart stopped. Sure, I knew he was the school player and all, but I was hoping to make the best of the situation. I opened my mouth to say something, but he cut me off.

"Of course, I would get you. The biggest nerd in school! This is such bullshit!" he growled. Suddenly, he grabbed my wrist and pulled me foreword "We are getting this switched right now, there was no way that compatability test was right. Come on." I yanked my hand away.

"What the hell! You think I wanted this? I don't even know you, but at least you don't have to be a dick about it!" I yelled, shocking myself with my own forewardness. Did I really just say that? But in my heart I knew it was true. I wasn't that bad. I may not have been a very pretty girl at all, but I was fun to talk to.

"I'm being a dick? You would be angry to if you got stuck with the biggest prude in school!" he yelled back. I saw a few other couples look our way, but most of them were too absorbed with their own matchings. I noticed Crystal out of the corner of my eye, arms wrapped around one of Josh's best friends, a glimmer in her eyes. She smirked at me evilly.

"Well it's not like I get a choice to be a prude anymore. We only have two years!" I said, my heart thumping. Crap. I almost forgot for a moment that I was suppose to have sex with this guy, this incredibly hot, incredibly rude guy. How would I ever do it?

"Yeah, and I know you will only have sex with me once in those two years in order to have a baby. That is incredibly unfair! Besides, we have nothing in common," said Josh. He shook his head in disbelief "Why am I even talking to you? Come on, we have to get this changed!" He stormed toward Professor McGonagall in a rage, and I followed behind holding back tears. Suddenly, a tall blonde Harpie was in my way-- Crystal.

"Hey loser, what are you doing with my man?" she growled "I hope you know he is never going to love you or your baby. He'll be off having fun with me." I bit my lip, trying to hold back the tears. I knew what she was saying was true. But it still hurt because a part of me had secretly hoped that I would get a boy who would love me and our child, someone I would be glad to be paired with, someone who would make my mother proud. I lowered my head.

"Just leave me alone, you're a jealous bitch," I whispered under my breath. Crystal laughed.

"Jealous of what, your ugly ass? Please. Now I've got two football players I can have sex with," she flipped her blonde hair over her shoulder and sauntered off. I ignored her and beelined for Josh, who was talking heatedly with Professor McGonagall.

"No means no Mr. Fauxgard," she glanced over at me "The test you guys took in homeroom said you were emotionally and physically compatable. You should have very healthy children. Additionally, you only have to be married for the next two years, then you are free to do whatever you please."

"Yeah, but I'll have a child with her," Josh grumbled. My stomach sank. Was I really that bad?

"We all have to make sacrifices. Besides, Ms. Stevenson is a wonderful girl," she gave me a nice smile. I sighed. All of the teacher's loved me, but that didn't make me cool by any stretch of the imagination. Josh rolled his eyes.

"Fine. But two years and I'm out. I'm going home," Josh said. He turned and stormed out of the auditiorium and I followed behind. Getting outside, Josh headed straight to his Mini Cooper and, stupidly, I followed. Approaching the car, Josh slammed the door in my face and rolled down the window.

"Get your own ride home, freak, I'm saving the baby-making until very last minute."

And with that he drove off. M

My heart felt like pudding as I ran far, far away from the parking lot; up the stairs of the school, through the door, and up three more flights of stairs before I finally reached the library. I stormed inside, letting the doors slam shut behind me, and rushed off to my secret spot in the back reference room. Finally, I slammed the doors shut and crawled in between two shelves filled with my only friends-- books. I sobbed. Warm tears ran down my face and I cried into my sweater. I wiped my nose and sniffled when I was done, feeling empty and worn out. But one thing was for certain in my mind, one thing very clear, and it made me have the courage to keep going.

This. Meant. War.