Chapter 1 - The Twins Who Lived

Harry James Potter

Vernon and Petunia Dursley, Harry's aunt and uncle, were just about as ordinary as it gets. They lived in a rather nice house, number 4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging, in Surrey. To them, their little son Dudley was a perfect little boy! But Harry thought quite the opposite. You see, Harry was treated very differently to Dudley. He sleeps in a broom cupboard under the stairs, and cleans and cooks in their house like a slave! Harry truthfully hated the Dursley's, even though they took him in as a baby.

Harry woke up one morning, to realise that today was his cousin Dudley's birthday. He headed into the kitchen to start cooking breakfast, as he was ordered to do so by Aunt Petunia. Once he had walked through the archway into the kitchen, he noticed an absolutely massive pile of presents. Harry never got any presents. "Comb your hair!" Uncle Vernon snapped at Harry from behind his newspaper. Harry's hair was a very dark brown, he had a very slim face, and bright green eyes. He also had a rather large scar on his forehead that resembled the shape of a lightning bolt.

He never knew how he gained this scar, as he'd had it since he could remember

He never knew how he gained this scar, as he'd had it since he could remember. He never bothered to ask, as Aunt Petunia didn't like it when Harry asked questions about his family. He only knew that his parents were killed in a car crash when he was one year old. He had assumed that was how he got that scar.

Harry began to cook the bacon and eggs Dudley had requested, and listened in on the conversation that was happening in the other room. Dudley had just plopped into a chair at the dining room table, when he started yelling at his father.

"How many are there?!" He yelled.
"Thirty six, counted them myself." Vernon said proudly.
"Thirty six? Thirty six! But last year, last year I had thirty seven!" Dudley cried.
"Yes my boy, but this year some of the presents are quite a bit bigger than last year." Vernon said, attempting to calm down Dudley.
"I DON'T CARE HOW BIG THEY ARE!" Dudley screamed. Harry jumped at this, almost dropping the bacon.
"Dudey-kins, how about we buy you two new presents while we're out today? Is that alright?" Petunia said calmly, also trying to relive the tension. Dudley thought for a moment.
"So that means I'll have... I'll have..." Dudley started.
"Thirty eight." Harry muttered, knowing Dudley was struggling to figure out how to do maths.
"Thirty eight!" Dudley snapped. "I guess that would be fine." He finished.

Suddenly, a phone call rang from the other room, and Petunia ran off to answer. Harry sat quietly and watched Dudley unwrap his presents. He ate his food, and was just about to start washing up his and Uncle Vernon's plates when Aunt Petunia walked back in, with a horrid expression on her face.

"What is it, dear?" Vernon asked worriedly.
"Mrs Figg has broken her leg. She can't take him." She said, glaring at Harry.

Harry was supposed to be going over to stay with Mrs Figg that day, so he couldn't go with his aunt, uncle and cousin to the zoo for Dudley's birthday. Eventually, after some arguing, and a bit of crying from Dudley, they agreed that Harry had to come along to the zoo.