Chapter 5 - The Sorting Hat

~Harry's PoV~

Once we got off the train, I realised it was dark outside. Had we been on the train for that long? Hannah, Hermione, my new friend Ron and I got off the train now all in our robes, and headed towards Hagrid who was calling for the first years.
"Ah, hello Harry and Hannah, and Hermione of course." Hagrid smiled looking down at us. "Hi Hagrid." Hannah and I said, beaming up at the man. "Hi." Hermione said also smiling. Ron looked the huge man up and down, and simply said, "Woah!" Hagrid lead all the first year students down to the boats that would lead us to the castle that was hogwarts. Hermione, Ron, Hannah and I all got into the same boat, Ron holding the lamp that meant we could see. The castle in front of us was huge, it had so many towers and floors, you couldn't even see the whole castle from where we were. Everyone was in shock. I'm pretty sure I heard Ron say "Wicked" at least 5 times on the boats. Once we arrived at the castle, we were lead inside and told to head up three flights of stairs. We all did as we were told, and at the top of the stairs was a lady dressed in emerald green robes, and a large pointed hat.

"Welcome to Hogwarts. Now, in a few moments time you will go through these doors and join your classmates, but before you can take your seats you must be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Now while you are here your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you points, and any rule breaking and you will loose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup-"
"TREVOR!" Yelled one of the boys stood near the front, and he leaped to the floor in front of the lady speaking, and picked up a large toad. "Sorry." The boy said, returning to his place. "The sorting ceremony will begin momentarily." The teacher finished, and turned to walk off.

"It's true then, what they're saying on the train. Harry and Hannah Potter have come to Hogwarts." A boy with slicked back blonde hair emerged from the crowd, and stood in front of Hannah and I, with two boys stood behind him. "This is Crabbe and Goyle, and I'm Malfoy. Draco Malfoy." He said. Ron started to laugh so I jabbed him in the side with my elbow to shut him up. "Think my names funny do you? No need to ask for yours. Red hair, and a hand me down robe? You must be a Weasley." Draco turned back to Hannah and I and began talking again. "You'll soon find out that some Wizarding family's are better than others. You don't want to go making friends with the wrong sorts. I can help you there." He held out his hand in front of me to shake. I looked down at his hand, to Hannah, and back to Malfoy. "I think I can tell the wrong sort for myself thanks." I said smoothly, making Draco rather annoyed. Hannah seemed like she wanted to say something, but the teacher reappeared behind the blonde boy, who she ushered to the side.

"We're ready for you now," The teacher said, "Follow me

"We're ready for you now," The teacher said, "Follow me." She turned and the doors to the Great Hall opened, revealing four very long tables, covered in plates and goblets, each house wearing a different colour tie, and one large table at the end of the hall containing what I had assumed to be the teachers. We all walked down to the end of the room for what we had been told was the sorting ceremony. A simple stool with an old hat stood in front of us all, and we stood waiting. Professor Dumbledore stood from his chair, and began saying some start of term notices. Once he had finished, the other teacher began again. "When I call your name, you will come forward and I shall place the sorting hat on your head, and you will be sorted into your houses." We all seemed to nod. The first name was called. "Hermione Granger." I squeezed her hand, and she let go and walked to sit on the stool. As the hat was placed on her head, it began talking. "Right... Okay... Right then, GRYFFINDOR!" The hat yelled. The table with red ties all cheered, as well has Harry and I. She went and sat at the table, and another name was called. The girl was then sorted into hufflepuff. "Draco Malfoy." The teacher said, and he strutted up towards the stool and sat. Before the hat was even placed onto his head, the hat shouted "SLYTHERIN!" Hannah and I both made eye contact with one of the teachers whilst waiting for our names to be called when suddenly both of our hands flew to our foreheads, right where our scars are, as they had a sharp pain. "Hey, are you guys alright?" Ron asked. "Yeah," Hannah lied. "It's nothing." I continued. The next name was then called. "Ronald Weasley." He sat in the chair, and the hat began talking again. "HA! Another Weasley... I know just what to do with you! GRYFFINDOR!" Ron sighed with relief, and sat at the table. "Harry Potter." Oh no. This is it. I looked at Hannah, and then walked to the stool and sat down. The hat began to talk again. "Hmm... Difficult... Very difficult. There's courage, talent, and a thirst to prove yourself... But where to put you..." "Not slytherin. Not slytherin." I whispered. "Not Slytherin hey? Are you sure? You could be great you know. It's all here, in your head. Slytherin will help you on the way to greatness, no doubt about that. No? If you're sure... Better be... GRYFFINDOR!" I smiled, and the whole red table cheered, Ron and Hermione the most. I ran and sat next to Ron, watching the other first years now.

~Hannah's PoV~

I am so nervous, all of my friends have been sorted into Gryffindor. What do I do if I don't get into that house? Before I had any more time to think, the teacher had called my name. "Hannah Potter." I walked nervously towards the stool, and sat slowly before the hat was then placed on my head. "Hmm... Also a difficult one..." The hat began. "Please be Gryffindor, please." I whispered, practically begging the hat. "Gryffindor? I see... You wish to be with your brother and friends... I should really be putting you in Slytherin... But, taking your choices into account, better be GRYFFINDOR!" I let out a huge sigh, and glanced towards the Slytherin table, where Draco was sat, smirking at me. I looked back at the Gryffindors, and sat next to Hermione. I shook hands with a set of ginger twins, who introduced themselves as Fred and George Weasley, Ron's older brothers. As the sorting ceremony continued, we sat and watched, cheering whenever someone was put into Gryffindor. The boy who lost his toad, Neville ended up sat next to me, with an Irish boy sat opposite him. Eventually, everyone had been sorted, and Dumbledore stood to say something.

"Let the feast begin!" The man said, and suddenly plates filled with a huge variety of foods appeared at the table, it looked absolutely amazing. We had jugs of pumpkin juice and water, and a whole roast dinner laid in front of us. We all began helping ourselves to the food. Ron had shoved about 3 chicken legs onto his plate, and began eating two at once. "I'm half and half, me dad's a muggle, mam's a witch. Bit of a nasty shock for him when he found out." The Irish boy said, who I learnt was called Seamus Finnigan. Harry was sat next to Percy, another of Ron's brothers, who is a prefect. "Percy, who's that teacher next to Professor Quirrel?" I asked, curiously. "That's Professor Snape. He teaches Potions." I sighed, annoyed. I was looking forward to that class until now. "Everyone knows it's the Dark Arts job he fancies. He's been after Quirrel's job for years." I was a little bit relieved now, hoping that he wouldn't be my potions teacher for too long then.

As Ron reached for yet another chicken leg, a ghost popped his head through the plate. "Hello! How are you? Welcome to Gryffindor!" The ghost said. A large amount of ghosts popped up out of random places around the hall.

"Hello St Nicolas

"Hello St Nicolas. Have a nice summer?" Percy asked the ghost. "Dismal. Once again, my application to join the headless hunt has been denied." St Nicolas said. "I know you! You're nearly headless Nick!" Ron said, with a look of realisation on his face. "I prefer Sir Nicolas if you don't mind." The ghost said. "Nearly headless? How can you be nearly headless?" Hermione asked confused. "Like this!" The ghost said, pulling his head to the side, it almost fell off, but it was being held on by part of his neck. Hermione instantly regretted asking, and Ron and I jumped. Once the feast was over, all first year Gryffindors had to follow Percy out of the hall.

"Gryffindors follow me, this way," he said proudly, "oh, and watch the staircases. They like to change." As he said this, the staircase in front of us moved to line up so we could get to our common room. We followed Percy, and eventually stood next to a painting of a large woman. The painting moved, and she spoke. "Password." Percy responded, "Caput Draconis." The painting swung open, showing an archway into a big room. Percy introduces this as the Gryffindor common room, and how we would be spending most of our time here. "Boys dormitories down to your left, girls the same on your right. You'll find all of your belongings have already been brought up." Percy said, and we all headed to our rooms. Harry shared a room with Ron, Seamus, and Neville, and I had a room with Hermione and a girl called Lavender Brown. That night, everyone was so tired, and they all changed into their pyjamas and fell asleep rather quickly. I also changed, but stayed up looking out of the window, stroking Irene. I feel like this is where I belong. I eventually fell asleep, leaving the window open for Irene.