Chapter 7 - Wingardium Leviosa

~Harry's PoV~

The next day, Hannah and I were meeting with Oliver Wood to practice quidditch and decide if we wanted to be on the team for good.
"Quidditch is easy enough to understand, each team has seven players, three chasers, two beaters, one keeper and a seeker. Hannah, you'll be a chaser, and Harry you'll be the seeker." Oliver explained. Hannah and I both nodded.
"There are three kinds of balls, this ones called the quaffle." The boy explained, handing Hannah the ball. "The chasers, which is you Hannah, will handle the quaffle, and try to put it through one of those three hoops. The keeper, that's me, defends the hoops. With me so far?" He asked. "Yes, so I'll be trying to score points." Hannah said nodding. "Yes, and I'll be stopping the other team from getting them." Wood replied. "What are those?" I asked, looking at the two balls that are chained up and moving in the box. "Ah, you two better take these." He handed us both a bat, so we took them and held them tight. Oliver released one of the balls, and it shot into the air like a bullet, and then came straight down, heading for Hannah and I. "Careful now, it's coming back." With that, Hannah whacked the ball straight towards a statue on top of a tower, and it went through a gap created by two swords.

"Not bad Potter

"Not bad Potter." The ball came soaring back, and this time I hit it, this time the ball was heading for a different statue, and it swooped round, and came back the other side. "Nice work, both of you. You'd make fair beaters." Wood said, smiling. "Uh oh." He said, as the ball flew straight at him, and he caught it as it hit him in the stomach, he wrestled the ball and eventually got it back in restraints. "What was that?" I asked, concerned. "A bludger. Nasty little buggers." Wood explained. "But you, Harry, are a seeker. The only thing I want you to worry about is this." He pulled out a tiny gold ball, which he then gave to me. "The golden snitch." He clarified. "I like this ball." I said, laughing. "Ah, you like it now, but just wait, they're wicked fast and damn near impossible to see." Wood explained again. "Well, what do I do with it?" I asked. "You catch it. Before the other teams seeker. You catch that, and the game is over. You catch this, Potter, and we win." As Wood said this, the ball sprouted wings, and hovered above my hand.

Later in the day, Hannah, Hermione, Ron and I had charms class together, where we learnt the levitation charm. "One of a wizards most important skills is levitation, or the ability to make objects fly! Do you all have your feathers?" Professor Flitwick, our charms teacher asked us. Hermione lifted hers to show that she did. "Good, now don't forget that nice wrist movement we've been practicing, swish and flick. Everyone?" "Swish and flick." The whole class said at once, practicing the motion. "Be sure to be clear with your words. Wingardium Leviosa. Off you go then." The professor finished, asking us to try the spell. Across the classroom, a large amount of students could be heard attempting the spell, but none succeeded. "Wingardium Leviosa." Ron said, almost whacking the feather with his wand. "Stop stop stop, you're going to take someone's eye out." Hermione said, stopping Ron. "Besides, you're saying it wrong. It's Leviosa not Leviosa." She corrected him. "You do it then if you're so clever. Go on!" Ron said, crossing his arms. "Wingardium Leviosa." Hermione spoke clearly, swishing and flicking her wand, and to Professor Flitwick's delight, her feather rose gently off the table. Hannah and I sat watching, mouths open. After watching Hermione, Seamus attempted the spell a few times, when suddenly his feather blew up in his face, much like his goblet from before. "Sir, I think we're going to need another feather over here." I said to Professor Flitwick. Hannah laughed from behind me, along with Dean, Neville, and Ron.