Chapter 10 - The Philosopher's Stone

~Hannah's PoV~

Once school had returned, Harry, Ron and I went up into the library once more. Suddenly, Hermione came in with a rather large book. "I had you looking in the wrong section, how could I be so stupid!" She said, walking up to us, and dropping the book on the table. "I checked this out weeks ago for a bit of light reading." She said, opening the book. "This? Is light?" Ron asked. Hermione shot him a glare, and looked back at her book. "Oh of course, here it is. 'Nicolas Flamel is the only known maker of the philosophers stone'." She read. "The what?" Harry, Ron and I said at once. "Honestly, don't you three read? 'The philosophers stone is a legendary substance with astonishing powers. It'll transform any metal into pure gold, and produces the elixir of life, which will make the drinker immortal." She read, yet again. "Immortal?" Ron said. "It means you'll never die." Hermione answered. "I know what it means!" He said, offended. Harry and I shushed him, and Hermione continued. "'The only stone currently in existence belongs to Mr Nicolas Flamel, the noted alchemist, who last year celebrated his six hundred and sixty fifth birthday'. That's what fluffy's guarding on the third floor. That's what's under the trap door. The philosophers stone." She said, knowingly. Harry and I looked at each other in shock. I think it's time to pay a visit to Hagrid.

As the four of us raced up to Hagrid's hut, it was very dark. We arrived outside and I knocked on the door. The giant opened the door. "Hagrid!" Harry and I said in unison. "Oh, hello. Sorry, in no means to be rude but I'm in no fit state to entertain today." He said, closing the door. "We know about the philosophers stone!" All four of us said. "Oh." He said, opening the door again, letting us in. Ron closed the door after him as he was the last in. "We think Snape's trying to steal it." I added. "Snape? Blimey, you're not still on about him are ye?" He asked. "Hagrid, we know he's after the stone, we just don't know why." Harry said. "Snape is one of the teachers protecting the stone, he's not about to steal it!" Hagrid said, "Right, come on now, I'm a bit preoccupied today." He said, turning back to the door. "Wait, one of the teachers?" I asked. "Of course! There are other things defending the stone, aren't there!" Hermione said. "Spells, enchantments." She added. "That's right, waste of bloody time if you asked me." Hagrid said, as his dog, Fang sniffed Ron. "Ain't no one gonna get past Fluffy. Ain't a soul knows how. Except for me and Dumbledore." Hagrid said, laughing. "I shouldn't have told you that."

Suddenly, a pot on the fire in the middle of Hagrid's hut began to shake. Hagrid pulled a giant egg out of the pot, and gently placed it on the table, and sat next to it. "Uh, Hagrid, what exactly is that?" I asked, concerned. "That is um... it's an..." Hagrid began. "I know what that is! But Hagrid, how did you get one?" Ron asked. "I won it! Off a stranger I met down the pub. Seemed quite glad to be rid of it, matter of fact." The large egg began to slowly crack open from the inside. Suddenly, it popped open, and a baby dragon was revealed. He squawked at Ron, and turned to Hagrid.

"Is that

"Is that... a dragon?" Hermione asked. "That's not just a dragon. That's a Norwegian Ridgeback. My brother Charlie works with these in Romania." Ron stated. "Isn't he beautiful." Hagrid said, almost crying. The dragon turned back to Hagrid. "Oh, bless him look! He knows his mummy." He giggled, and stroked the dragon under its chin. "Hello Norbert." He said. "Norbert?" Harry asked. "Ah well he's gotta have a name doesn't he?" With that, the dragon coughed and flames burst out of his small mouth, setting Hagrid's beard on fire. "Ooo! He ought to be trained up a bit of course." He said, patting out the fire in his beard. "Who's that?" He asked, glancing at the window. We all turned, to see someone peering in the window. "Malfoy." Harry and I said, together. "Oh dear." Hagrid said, in a deeper voice than normal.