Chapter 8 - The Cursed Broom

~Hannah's PoV~

"Take a bit of toast mate." Ron said to Harry, offering him some. "Hannah?" He offered me some too, but I declined. "Ron's right you two. You're going to need your strength today." Hermione said, agreeing with Ron for once. "I'm not hungry." Harry and I said together. A voice came from behind us, and we saw Professor Snape looking down at us. "Good luck today, Potters. Then again, now that you've proven yourself against a troll, a little game of quidditch should be easy work for you both," he said menacingly. "Even if it is against Slytherin." He added, and walked up to the teachers table. Whilst he walked, I noticed him limping. "That explains the blood." I said to Harry. "Blood?" Hermione asked. "Listen you guys, last night I'm guessing Snape let the troll in as a diversion, so that he could try and get past that three headed dog, but he got himself bitten. That's why he's limping." Harry said, explaining. "But why would anyone go near that dog?" She asked us. "The day we were at Gringotts, Hagrid took that parcel out of the vault. He said it was hogwarts business, very secret." Harry finished. "So you guys are saying..." Ron asked, confused. "That's what the dogs guarding. That's what Snape wants." I said, firmly.

Suddenly, Hedwig and Irene swooped down through the window, with two identical parcels, and dropped them in front of us. "Bit early for mail, isn't it?" Hermione asked. "We never get mail." Harry and I said together. "Let's open them!" Ron said, starting to help open mine, Hermione helping Harry open his. "It's a broomstick." I said, happily. "That's not just a broomstick, Hannah, that's a Nimbus 2000!" Ron said excitedly. "Look, Harry's got the same!" Hermione said. "But who could have-" I began, but Harry and I looked over to McGonagall, who had both of our owls sat either side of her. She looked over, and smiled at us, we smiled back, gratefully.

It was time. Hermione and Ron had left us to join our other friends in the stands, and Harry and I walked down to the changing rooms with our new brooms. Once we had changed, the rest of our team was ready to go. We walked over to the gate where the players fly out from, and prepared ourselves for the match. I gave Harry a quick hug, and stood behind Fred and George, the beaters for our team. I had two other people behind me, who are the other chasers. "Scared you two?" Wood asked, turning so he could see us both. "A little." Harry said, nervously. "Sort of." I added. "I felt the same way before my first game." Wood said to us. "What happened?" I asked anxiously. "Uh, I don't really remember. I took a bludger to the head two minutes in. Woke up in the hospital wing a week later." He explained, and before Harry and I could even react, the doors opened, meaning we had to mount our brooms to fly out onto the pitch. Wood flew out first, followed by Harry, then the twins, and then me, followed by Angelina Johnson and Katie Bell. The crowd cheered as we all flew around the pitch getting ready to get into formation for the match. The slytherin team flew out seconds later, also being cheered by their house.

"Hello and welcome to Hogwarts' first quidditch game of the season

"Hello and welcome to Hogwarts' first quidditch game of the season. Today's game, Slytherin vs Gryffindor!" Lee Jordan, who was commentating said into a microphone. Hagrid was stood in the Gryffindor stands, cheering with Hermione, Ron, Seamus, Neville, Dean, and the rest of the first years. The team soared into positions, and Madam Hooch stepped into the field to begin the match. "Now I want a nice clean game, from all of you." She said, glancing at Slytherin captain Marcus Flint. She opened the box containing the balls. "The bludgers are up, followed by the golden snitch. Now remember, the snitch is worth 150 points. The seeker who catches the snitch, ends the game." Lee said, and Madam Hooch picked up the quaffle, which she threw up into the air. "The quaffle is released, and the game begins!" Lee started, commentating every move. Angelina grabbed the ball, and soared straight through a bunch of slytherins, me following just to the side, incase she needs to pass it or drops it, she shoots up to one of the hoops, and throws the ball in, instantly scoring 10 points. The crowd went wild! Harry almost fell off his broom while cheering. "Slytherin takes possession of the quaffle, passed to captain Marcus Flint, he shoots for the hoop, but Gryffindor captain Oliver Wood saves it." He had hit the ball with the end of his broom, and it came straight at me, I soared towards it and caught it, passing it between me and Katie. We were being chased by two Slytherin boys, and through some manoeuvres, we managed to get away, Katie took the quaffle and soared around behind the hoop, and then threw me the ball, I managed to catch it quickly, and throw it straight through the hoop, just missing the slytherin keeper. "Hannah Potter scores! Another 10 points to Gryffindor!" Lee Jordan yelled through the microphone. The slytherin team were angry now, and after a failed shot by a slytherin chaser, Flint grabbed one of the beaters bats, and whacked a bludger straight at Wood, who got knocked out, and went straight down to the ground. Laughter came from the slytherin stands, but plenty of boos could be heard from gryffindor's. Soon after, slytherin scored a goal after almost hitting Fred Weasley of his broom. Katie was sandwiched in between two slytherin players, leading her straight into a tower, and she flew straight at it, not being able to turn off, loosing the quaffle to a slytherin boy, who then scored, making the points 20-20. By the looks of it, Harry had seen the snitch, as he began to shoot around the stadium, with the slytherin seeker now following at a distance. After just avoiding a bludger, Harry started to loose control of his broom, it looked as though it was trying to throw him off! Harry was now holding on with one hand, hanging from the broom. I was still trying to focus on not letting slytherin gain any points, while watching my brother. After something happening down in the teachers box, Harry regained control of his broom, and jumped back on. Harry soared after the slytherin seeker, and bashed into him, seeing the snitch just ahead. Harry sped down to the ground after the snitch, and just as he stood up on his broom, like he was surfing, he was pushed off, and he tumbled to the ground. I was looking down at Harry, who was gagging, as if he was going to vomit. Suddenly, the snitch popped out of his mouth. "Harry Potter has caught the snitch! He receives 150 points, and Gryffindor wins!" The sea of red scarves and flags cheered violently, as I soared down to join Harry on the ground along with the other players. We had done it! Gryffindor won the first game of the season!

After the match, we headed back to Hagrid's hut with Hermione and Ron, who explained that Snape was cursing Harry's broom. "Nonsense! Why would Snape put a curse on Harry's broom?" Hagrid asked us. "Who knows." Harry said. "Why was he trying to get past that three headed dog on halloween?" I asked. "Who told you about Fluffy?" Hagrid asked, concerned. "Fluffy?! That things got a name?!" Hermione asked. "Of course he's got a name, he's mine!" Hagrid said. "I got him off an Irish fellow I met down the pub last year. Then I lent him to Dumbledore to guard the-" he was interrupted. "Yes?" Harry and I said, hoping he would tell us what Fluffy is guarding. "I shouldn't have said that." Hagrid said, "No more questions! That's top secret that is!" He finished. "But Hagrid, whatever Fluffy's guarding, Snape's trying to steal it!" Harry went on. "Codswallop. Professor Snape is a Hogwarts teacher." Hagrid reassured us. "Hogwarts teacher or not, I know a spell when I see one. I've read all about them. You've got to keep eye contact, and Snape wasn't blinking." Hermione protested. "Exactly." I added. "Now you listen to me, all four of ye, you're meddling in things that ought not to be meddled in. It's dangerous. What that dog is guarding is strictly between Professor Dumbledore, and Nicolas Flamel." Hagrid said firmly. "Nicolas Flamel?" Harry asked. "I shouldn't have said that. I should not have said that." Hagrid said to himself, walking off. "Who's Nicolas Flamel?" I asked the others. "I don't know." Hermione replied.

By the time it was almost Christmas, none of us had found any information on Nicholas Flamel

By the time it was almost Christmas, none of us had found any information on Nicholas Flamel. Harry and Ron were staying in Hogwarts for Christmas. Hermione and I decided to go home, and we left Harry and Ron's presents by the tree in the Gryffindor common room. I was sat with Harry and Ron I'm the great hall, who were playing wizards chess. Hermione walked over to us to say goodbye to Harry and Ron before we headed home for the holidays. As she approached us, Ron had just ordered his queen to go to E5, destroying Harry's knight. "That's totally barbaric!" Hermione protested. "That's wizards chess." Ron replied. "I see you've packed." He added. "I see you haven't." She said back to Ron. I had my bags on the floor next to me, along with my scarf. "Change of plans, my parents decided to go to Romania to visit my brother Charlie. He's studying dragons there." He added, smiling. "Good, you can help Harry then. He's going to look in the library for information on Nicolas Flamel." She said, leaning in across the table. "We've looked about a hundred times!" He protested. "Not in the restricted section." She added. "Happy Christmas." And with that, Hermione and I stood to leave. I gave Harry and quick hug, and waved to Ron, and we left back home.