7: This Apocalyptic World

Under Lin Sanjiu's directions, Marcie drove all the way to the 38-floor condominium and parked the car in a secluded spot for them to rest. This was a high-end residential estate, after all, so there were fewer people compared to outside. Even in this world that had changed beyond recognition, the garden looked unusually peaceful now.

Hesitating for a moment, Lin Sanjiu sealed the broken window and switched on the air conditioner. Zhu Mei was no longer around... It made no sense to save that electricity. A cool environment would not only help her recover her strength, but it would also be good for that wound on her neck. At least, it would reduce the chances of infection under such high temperatures... Despite how logical her decision was, she could not help feeling somewhat crestfallen as the cool wind started to blow.

Luther noticed her expression. He sighed and comforted, "Lady, don't grieve too much. Your friend... At least, your friend did not die at the hands of a duoluozhong."

After experiencing that near death encounter together, they had unwittingly grown closer. Lin Sanjiu could feel the kindness in Luther's words and smiled. She only replied after a while, saying, "Can you stop calling me lady? I am not much older than you... That's right, I didn't have the chance to introduce myself before. My name is Lin Sanjiu. Well, I just... just evolved recently."

"So your name is derived from the Hebrew language meaning of 'He God will increase'?" Luther immediately pouted. "My name can't compete with yours. I will call you Xiao Jiu. And why did you tie a towel around your neck?"

"Oh!" His words served to remind Lin Sanjiu. She quickly took off the warm, wet towel, exposing her messy, mangled wound. Luther suddenly drew a breath when he saw it. Marcie raised both her eyebrows, looking puzzledly at Lin Sanjiu. Lin Sanjiu opened a bottle of clean water and started cleaning her wound. As she did so, she recounted the incident with Ren Nan. Largely due to the fact that the two of them had saved her during that previous critical juncture, Lin Sanjiu was very willing to trust them.

Unlike Luther, who listened dumbfoundedly, Marcie listened silently with knit brows. Suddenly, she pointed to the bottle of clean water — Lin Sanjiu paused for a moment — and Marcie offered, "Let me do it. I studied the medical sciences for a few years." After that, she took a roll of bandages and some antibiotics from her waist pouch.

Can a personality that has achieved a corporeal body actually have a set of life experiences? Lin Sanjiu shot Luther a look of confusion but did not say anything. She just lifted her head and swallowed the two antibiotics obediently. With Marcie's skills, it did not take long for the wound on her neck to be properly dressed and bandaged.

After listening to her story, Luther was still a little engrossed in the details. "I have heard about such cannibalistic abilities... but Marcie and I have never encountered someone like that before. I always thought that it was just an urban legend. I can't believe it was actually real. That Ren Nan probably evolved only recently too, that's why you managed to easily get rid of him. Otherwise, if he was given more time, who knows how powerful he would have become!"

"Luckily, we didn't meet such a person," Marcie commented quietly.

After having spent half a night with them, Lin Sanjiu could tell that even though Marcie was unable to engage in real combat, she was nimble, cool-headed, and more... Experienced? She felt more reliable than Luther, at least.

"Can you explain more about this world to me? What is happening? How many worlds are there?" Lin Sanjiu faced Marcie and couldn't help but ask.

"Why are you asking Marcie and not me?" she heard a protest from beside her, coming from Luther. As if she did not hear her question, Marcie replied with another question instead, "Have you heard about the theory of parallel dimensions before?"